Chapter 14: I dislike Thomas's curiosity

I woke up in a bed in a wooden hut, extremely confused.

I was lost and wanted answers, until I remembered what happened last night; the situation and the pain smashing into me like a freight train.

I looked to my right and saw...J-Jeff? Was that his name? It'd been so long I couldn't remember.

"J-Jeff? Is that you?" He turned to me with a sympathetic smile.

"Glad you remembered. Y/N, Thomas said that you fell out of a tree and broke your foot. Bad. We don't know how long it'll take for it to heal, but it'll take a miracle for you to even be able to walk again. Until then, you'll stay here in the Med-jack hut, where no one'll find you."

I took a deep breath I didn't even know I was holding. Wait. I thought. How did Thomas know what happened? Was he spying on me?!

"I need to get back to the Deadheads tonight," I muttered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, Jeff."

***

Night had fallen, and no one had come to see me. My foot wasn't getting better, and I was hidden in a secluded area of the hut where no one would see me even if they wanted to. Clint and Jeff had said goodnight to me and headed off to their hammocks.

Then Thomas walked in.

"Tom.... why are you here?"

"I thought you'd be lonely."

"Well, you sure as shuck were right."

"I wanted to say I'm sorry about your foot, I hope it gets better."

"Hoping won't do anything, will it?"

"Okay, geez, I'm just trying to make you feel better."

"I didn't ask for you to come here you know! I'd rather anyone else in this shucked-up place to see except you!"

"Why do you hate me so much?! What did I ever do to you?! I saved your life!"

"You're more curious than any other shucking Greenie in this place! When will you learn to leave me alone?! Also, you didn't save my life! I would've been fine without you!"

Thomas looked taken aback, hurt, angry, and sad all at the same time. {Gif above}

I kept my angry face on as I looked away from him.

"I just wanted to say goodnight to you, Y/N I still hope your foot gets better."

I heard him walk away and the door closed, when I realized that everything I said to him hurt me to say.

I had that feeling again. The way my face heated up and my stomach flipped–I had no idea what it meant.

Until, I thought of Thomas.

Is he the reason I'm getting this feeling?

I shook it off and stood up, my foot in unbearable pain the whole time.

I tried not to scream in agony, hot salty tears rolled down my face in order to keep quiet. I grabbed a large stick next to me and used it to stand up while keeping weight off of my right foot.

I made it to the door and waited for about 20 minutes to make sure everyone was asleep.

Then, I limped as fast as I could back to the Deadheads.