Chapter 12: I break my foot and pass out

Newt got Thomas out of the Deadheads while I ran back to my little home. I checked my watch.

"7:10," I thought aloud. My stomach rumbled, and I smirked at my bag of full food from meeting Thomas. I reached in and grabbed some bread while checking my water bottle.

Empty. I wiped the crumbs off of my outfit, grabbed my quiver, slung it over my shoulder, snatched my bow, and made my way to the little pond in the Deadheads.

I refilled my water while looking at my reflection in the dirty water.

He seemed so mesmerized by my looks, does he think I'm pretty?

I snapped the lid of the water bottle shut and made my way back to my little home. I decided to practice by shooting my target, hitting the bullseye every single time.

A bird was getting on my nerves, and with my crack-shot aim, I shot it dead and all the animals of the Deadheads went silent. I retrieved the bird and decided to maybe return it to Frypan that night.

The day flew by as I nailed my aim on my target, all the while wondering what was going through Thomas's curious head. Darkness had fallen, and the sky was a deep blue, with stars sprinkled everywhere.

I placed my bow into my hammock and happily climbed to the top of the tree, getting comfy all the while remembering a song. I started singing it without a thought on my mind.
{Video is above if you wanna listen to it}

Ending with a sigh, the song reminded me of how it was possible that we could escape the nightmare-inducing Maze. But, the Maze was the only home I could remember, so I still cherished it the best I could.

I heard the rustling of leaves and decided it was time for bed.

I turned to a jumping position on the branch and grabbed a small one to keep myself balanced-

SNAP!

The branch I held onto snapped, and I was plummeting toward the ground. I screamed as loud my pierced lungs could yell.

"HELP ME!!!!"
I landed on my right foot and gasped.

I was in so much shock that I could barely feel the pain. But I could still feel the numbness in my foot, knowing that it was most definitely broken.

I gasped for breath as I tried to sit up when the numbness and shock was too much to bear, and I fell unconscious.

But, just as my world was turning to the dark side, I saw a figure. A figure that I'd recognized very well.

Thomas.