"I'm Here To Stay"

You haven't been to The Beef in a few weeks, the last time you were here was the day after Michael's funeral. You'd only seen him a few times the couple years before he died when you'd visit home from Copenhagen and go to The Beef and holiday parties.

You didn't see Carmen at the funeral, you were shocked by this but didn't ask or say anything about it while you were there. You decided to move back and reconnect with old friends and family. Carmen, Richie, and Neil, being some of them.

You got out of your car and walked up to The Beef and it was closed.

Shit, they must still be prepping.

You walk around the building to the back and Richie is outside smoking a cigarette. He looks over and smiles.

"Hey! Honey! Such a beautiful sight! How's it going?" He opens his arms and you give him a big hug.

"Hey Handsome! Look at you! I'm alright how are you?" You smile.

"I thought you weren't sure if you were staying after..." Richie looks down, turning solemn.

"After uh, the funeral." He looks up and around then back at you.

"Yeah, yeah, no, I decided to stay. I was gonna call you but, flying back to Copenhagen, getting an apartment, flying back and moving in was fucking hectic and I was so busy just trying to move back as soon as possible- I just completely forgot in all the mess, I'm sorry about that. And I wanted to reconnect with everyone, you know, get closer with you guys again. After being away for so long and.. What happened." It was your turn to look around painfully and awkwardly. "I just wanted to be here and be with people I care about and, yeah. I missed you guys and I should've come visited more and stayed in touch more. I know that, and.." Your eyes start watering against your will.

"Hey it's ok," Richard wraps his arms around you and holds you. "you're here now and that's what matters, ok?"

You nod your head. "Yeah, and I'm glad to really be back." You pull away and wipe a tear.

"I'm glad you're back too and I'm sure everyone else will be. Have you said hi to Carmy yet?" He says turning.

"Not yet. Actually, I was going to ask him if you guys need any help around here."

"Eh. He's trying to change a lot of stuff around here, I told you he would, and it's been more crazy then usual. But. I'm sure we could use another pair of hands, come on, let's go see him." He guides you inside with his hand on your back.

"Cousin! Look at this beautiful soul I found wandering the streets!" He puts his hands on your shoulders.

"Hey! Honey, how've you been?" Carmy gives you a quick hug then goes back to chopping onions.

"It's going good, I moved back and-"

"Hey mija! It's so good to see you!" Tina yelled walking over, you gave her a big hug.

"Mama T! I've missed you!" You hug her back tightly. "I missed you too, mija!" You smile at each other as she pulls away and walks back to her station.

"Honey wanted to ask if there's a position open?" Richie interjects.

"Oh, uh. Well we're kinda good back here, and we wouldn't be able to pay a lot anyways." Carmy raised an eyebrow towards you, grabbing a carrot.

"Well, what if she worked up front with me?" Richie asked before you can say anything.

"I mean, if you'd want to that's fine, but like I said- we can't pay much. We're strapped as it is, I can maybe swing part time but even that's iffy." Carmen said unsure of the situation. He turned and checked on the beef in the oven.