CHAPTER 3

----

----

"sun, what's your answer in number 21?"

"x is equal to 5. you?"

"i don't get it," eunchae shows her scientific calculator to sunoo, the screen displaying 'syntax error'.

sunoo looked at his friend and then sighed. they've been trying to finish their math workbook for this week, and his classmate doesn't even know how to input numbers on her calculator properly.

"ugh, i think i'm going to have to take remedial classes." eunchae pouts, resting her head on the table.

their school library is packed with students, and they almost didn't get a seat if it weren't for eunchae's social skills. i think she's best friends with our librarian now.

"come on, it's not that bad." sunoo hands her his notes, "just follow these steps, then you'll know how to solve other equations."

"i can't, my brain is completely shut down now."

"i don't care, wake it up or else you're not going to pass your work on time."

eunchae looks at him, "but i have you! sharing is caring." she winks, fluttering her eyelashes.

gross.

sunoo pursed his lips into a thin line and ignored his friend. he focused on answering the sheet, and by the time he reached the last equation, it was already nearing lunch break.

"sunoo, i'm dying... i need food." eunchae now sounds like a fish that's been out of water.

"chae, just let me finish this first." he raised his head for a moment, and he sees his brother's friend just arriving inside the library.

he paused. do i have to greet him? he thinks for a bit, then he decides to just go back to his math sheet.

it's not like we're close anyway.

that's what he thought— but then he hears eunchae gasping in front of him, a gasp that she only lets out every time she sees a handsome guy.

sunoo pretends not to hear or notice his surroundings. he continues to write, even when he sees a silhouette of a person standing right behind him.

"hey, kiddo." he feels a soft pat of hand on his head. "you look busy."

he stops writing, then looks up only to see sunghoon looking down at him with a smile.

wow. he looks bright.

"hello, sunbae..." he murmurs, while eunchae kept quiet and just bowed to the older as a greeting.

he watched as sunghoon raised an eyebrow, confused. "what sunbae?" he laughed, "you're jay's brother, so i'm your hyung too."

hyung... "o-okay, hyung."

he nodded, now looking satisfied. "good. what are you doing? want hyung to help you?"

"no!" sunoo shakes his head quickly. "i'm done anyway..."

sunghoon chuckles before ruffling his hair. "aight, go do your thing. i'll see you around."

then he walks towards the opposite aisle of the library, leaving them. eunchae finally lets out a muffled shriek, hitting sunoo's shoulder.

"who was that?! he's so... oh my god, sun!"

"calm down chae—"

"calm down? heck no! tell me his name, quick!" the girl switched seats, now sitting beside sunoo while facing him.

he groaned. she's always like this when it comes to guys. i remember the first time she saw hyung, she almost passed out... i'm not even exaggerating.

"it's..." sunoo shrugs, "i'm not actually sure, but he's hyung's friend."

eunchae frowned. "eh? fine, but you have to ask your brother okay?"

why? sunoo wanted to protest, but he just nodded to make eunchae stop talking.

---

"are you tired?" his hyung asks, taking his backpack and carrying it for him.

sunoo pouts, "i'm sleepy."

jay smiled and pinched his cheek. "we'll be home in a bit."

they're walking towards the bus station, since they'll be taking the bus going home today. he always goes home together with his brother, who didn't seem to mind that he needs to wait for his dismissal everyday.

should i tell him that i can go home by myself? he's going to get tired if he always waits for me.

"by the way, you were at the library earlier?" jay asked.

"yeah, i finished my math sheet." then he realized something. "your friend told you?"

"my friend?" he chuckled, "that was sunghoon and yep, he told me."

he slowly nodded. so his name is really sunghoon.

"is he your classmate, hyung?"

jay shook his head. "he's in 11th grade, but we're basically the same age."

sunoo nods again, this time taking notes inside his head. i'll tell eunchae tomorrow.

"he... plays basketball too?" he probes, and jay looks at him in confusion.

"he does, he's my teammate." he stopped walking and faced his brother. "why?"

sunoo frowned. "nothing, just curious..."

his brother snorted. "you better be just curious."

what does he mean by that? i won't be asking those questions if it weren't for eunchae...

---