EPILOGUE

That first love.

It is so innocent. You are not looking for anything, you don't have expectations. You are a blank slate and you just know what you love and it is straight from the heart.

Later on, you look for things. You look for qualities. There is a blueprint and that first love, you'll never have that again.

Unless your love is pure. Unless, your love is based on that first love, the fact you are not looking for it and it comes into your life without you expecting it, and that there is no need to compare anymore.

It's rare, but it exists. I think it exists in all of us, we just have to meet the right person to share that with.

That we don't tolerate each other, but love each other for who we are.

No conditions. No reservations. That plain love that we carry with us until we let it out.

\\

March, 2020

"Dad, what the fuck?" Roseanne looks at him with a confused gaze when Louis steps into her living room unexpectedly.

"I need you to do something." He scrapes his throat awkwardly.

"Okay?"

"If... if you ever see Lisa again, can you give this to her?" he reaches in his jacket pocket, grabbing the letter he wrote the night before.

For a few hours, he's been thinking. He has had the opportunity to talk to his daughter, to try and make up for what he did, but he's never been able to do that with Lisa.

He has hope though, that with this letter he might. He would prefer it to do it face to face, but he isn't sure if he'll live to see that, if Roseanne will ever see her again.

He tries not to get his heart broken too much with that thought, instead focusing on his daughter now.

Roseanne's eyes widen at the mention of Lisa's name, her gaze lowering to the envelope her father reveals then.

It's been years since Louis has tried to bring up the subject.

"In case you didn't notice, I am married." Roseanne says dryly, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Her belly is showing just very subtly and Louis feels just the smallest tinge of pride in his chest when he thinks he is going to be a grandfather soon.

"I know that, Roseanne. Is he home?"

"No, he's out with friends. Per usual." His daughter sounds annoyed, rolling her eyes.

Louis somehow can't help but chuckle at that.

There is just the tiniest sparkle in Roseanne's eyes when she laughs along, but it fades quickly.

"I know you don't like him, dad."

"Can't help that I am picky for my daughter." He winks.

Roseanne huffs in amusement, but her lips tug downwards.

"But seriously, what is this?" her finger taps on the envelope.

Louis looks at the white paper in his hands. He still wears his jacket, still standing in the same spot.

"I have had the chance to apologize to you, Roseanne. I have had the chance to make it up to you, even though I know that nothing will ever fix it completely. I know you're married, but I think you still love her." He says bluntly.

He watches the colour drain from her face and he knows then that he is right. He is still astonished by the strong love that his girl has for Lisa.

After all this time, after everything that has happened, his daughter still loves the girl. It's... amazing as much as it is horrible for her, he knows this. Love like that is rare, it's beautiful but when it doesn't work, if it failed, it must be the most painful thing to live without.