CHAPTER 6

November, 2015

She has to.

They leave her no choice.

It's in the middle of the night when she sneaks out of her bedroom, tiptoeing downstairs. Her heart hasn't been able to stop bleeding.

Her mind hasn't been able to catch up.

The only thing that will keep her sane is Lisa, and so she has planned to return.

Fuck her mother. Fuck Betty.

Roseanne has never really been good at holding grudges, but she has been fully ignoring her mother the past weeks, trying to insult her, trying to hurt her, trying to make her feel what Roseanne has been feeling, but Betty seems... untouchable.

Cold, even.

The blonde has no idea why her mother has changed this much. She definitely recalls a time where Betty had been happy. When she had been home, more light-hearted and happy with Louis.

But the past few years, those moments were rare. Roseanne spent most of the Holidays with her dad and the Manobal's, her mother working at the hospital.

She grew even closer to her dad when they spent dinners alone, both silently wondering when Betty was going to notice them again.

She knows her dad tried. She loves him for it, even though she blames him for the separation, too.

His eyes tell her the truth. The regret written in them, the way he tries to be there for her.

Louis misses them too, she thinks. She remembers how close her dad was with Lisa's. They had been best friends.

But she has to go now. She can't live like this, if she's being honest with herself. She needs the brunette in her life, there simply is no other answer.

They can run away together and Roseanne deeply regrets it that she hasn't tried harder while she still lived in DC.

She is carrying a large bag with her, grabbing food and bottles of water from the fridge.

She steals her father's wallet, his credit card and the keys to his car. She has stolen enough cash to make sure that she can buy enough gas for her way there in case they'll block the credit card.

She quietly moves outside, placing the bag into her father's car before settling behind the wheel.

She has been planning this for a week. She has been mapping the road back to DC, trying to memorize each exit, each highway she has to take.

The map tucked on the passenger's seat, she starts the engine, nervous about her father maybe hearing her.

But she drives. She leaves her house behind.

A seventeen-year-old girl, trying to reach the light of her life. Alone, on the other side of the country, about to start a journey that will take her days.

She knows the way, but she is so, so fucking nervous. This drive is going to cost her at least four days, but she has to.

She has to get back to Lisa.

She isn't able to live without her, she isn't able to even enjoy anything without her. She needs her. She needs her girlfriend.

Not being able to talk to her has been asphyxiating her. She has been crying non-stop since she's gotten here and the kids at her new high school don't understand why she's so sad.