Twenty-Eight

Hope is something that can come and go. 

For Valentina hope was very rare. She found that being hopeless gave her a better chance of not being hurt in the long run. 

There were people however that gave her that sense of hope. 

In certain moments she needed hope more than ever.

Valentina Nanu Rodriguez's POV

Gloria went to open the door and I felt scared. Nothing felt like it was going to go right.

When she opened the door she revealed four police officers. There was a woman and 3 guys. I let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding all this time. 

All four officers looked at me and they had horrified looks on their faces. I hadn't seen myself in days but it had to be ad from their reactions. I was starting to cry because I was so relieved that I was finally safe.

"Dispatch I think we're gonna need paramedics." An officer said. He was tall and had his dark hair in a buzz cut. 

"Sweety what is your name?" the lady asked me, being the only one brave enough to walk up to me and take my hand.  

"Valentina," I choked back tears so that I was able to speak properly. "Valentina Rodriguez."

Her expression was soft like she'd heard my name before. The second Gloria turned on the news my face appeared with the headline 'Local Teen Girl Missing'. They talked about how if anyone had any information on me to call the police. 

Before I could react to the TV I heard someone calling my name. 

"Val!" It was Ethan running in with Ivy on his side. I ran up and hugged them both which felt like a dream. 

All that time I was in that horror house I felt like I was never going to escape. All that time I thought that this was Frank's way of finally killing me off too, just like he did my mami.

"I missed you so much!" I sobbed into Ethan's arms and I held on for dear life. I didn't want to let go of my baby. He was the only thing that kept me going in that house and he was finally here in my arms. 

"Shh baby I got you," Ethan rubbed my back and it seemed like he was trying not to cry either. When I finally let go I noticed his eyes were a deep red. 

I didn't leave his side not once. I just wanted to be near him so that knew this was over for good. 

The police even drove me slowly down the street so I could point out which house it was and when I finally saw the home I pointed to it slowly only saying the word "there."