Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"What's going on?" His lips are narrowed tightly, and when he turns to me, he's not really looking. "Owen?"

"Calla, I don't want to drag you into this..."

"But you're not OK. What's going on?"

He exhales and slams his hand down on the side table.

"Everything I keep hidden in the wall? My cash, stash, everything. It's all missing. I was supposed to deliver it to Leon this morning, but it's not there. It's gone, Calla. Someone knew where I kept everything. I don't even know when it was taken. I've never... I've never messed up like this. If it was mine, no one would ever need to know. But it was for Leon and his guys to sell. He knows something's up. If he runs to Taggart about this..." He runs his hands through his hair, and I move forward, putting my hands on his chest.

"I have money. I could help." He chuckles and leans down his forehead against mine.

"I can sort that. It's the mess up I can't hide. I have no idea who did this. I don't even know when..."

"OK... how can I help?"

"You don't. You go to school, go home. Forget all about it. I'll fix it."

"I'm not going to do that." I breathe in deeply, taking him in. Feeling his body settle before me, his breathing slowing. "I'm not a fool. I can't pretend I know how I can help. Maybe I can't, but you're not alone. I'm here for you."

He hooks his finger and lifts up my chin, kissing me. Memories of last night, and so many other nights, leave my skin scorched and tingling. He pulls away and runs his thumb across my lower lip.

"Why are you so good to me, huh?"

"Because you're the only person who doesn't expect me to be." He smiles gently and leans down to kiss softly one more time.

"I'll sort out the electricity. Give me ten minutes OK?"

I smile, nodding as he quickly grabs his jacket and leaves. I'm still smiling, still feeling the echo of the kiss on my lips when I walk back into the main room. Heading back to the kitchen, I add cold water to my empty mug instead of hot tea. As I turn off the tap, the door is launched open, crashing against the wall. Screaming, I leap back, hitting the kitchen counter. The mug drops from my hands, shattering on the floor.

Two men walk into the room. The first is smaller, but it's clear from the flicker in his dark eyes that he's in charge. This must be Leon. I can tell he's not the infamous Taggart. From the way Owen and Dad talk about Taggart, he's remarkable, and there's nothing remarkable about this man. The other is merely a large accessory, sickly pale with watery eyes and thinning hair. Leon turns when he sees me, smiling as his eyes drag themselves up my body, churning my stomach.

"Well, well, well... I knew little Owen was seeing someone. He tries to pretend otherwise, but I knew he had a girl. A pretty one, don't you think, Tob?"

"He's not here," I snap, with more force than I feel.

"Then where is he? He was gonna come see me in an hour but... I had a feeling I better pop over and pay him a visit."

They chuckle, leering at me, and I fight the urge to run into the bedroom. It won't protect me from them. Holding my ground is all I've got.

"Like I said, he's not here."

Leon nods, walking deeper into the room as the other man lingers by the doorway. They stare at me as if daring me to try and run.

"You must be something special for Owen to keep you so well hidden."

I say nothing. Behind me, my hands scramble for something on the counter. But I find nothing. My fingers grip the handle of the kettle.

"Get out."