Chapter 1 - Ulivia, The hope

kid's pov

".. And we live in continent mm-18. Not the best place, hygiene-wise, but at least we live." The teacher said. She sat on a cardboard box, with a stick to point at a rusty chalkboard. Although this isn't the normal circumstance that children get taught in, I'm happy. Our teacher used to be a citizen from the famed Ulivia, The most cool continent in the world! The land of hope! Like a fake utopia, a false utopia. Her stories of what it was like there are always so fun to listen to. She used to teach kindergarten there, so she started to do the same here.

"Alright, it's time! Class is over, go back to your homes and fill up your hungry bellies! you'll need it for tomorrow's lesson." she said, smiling. Though class ends, a few of us stay behind to ask her questions and listen to her stories. Me and 3 of my friends run over to her and jump around.

"What stories will you tell us today? today, today, today!" I say excitedly.

she laughs. "alright alright, calm down and I'll tell you." she brings 3 boxes and lays them out for us to sit on, which we happily do. "C'mon! we wanna hear the stories!" We say.

After an hour of storytelling, all my friends have gone home, while I stayed. Teacher is packing things up for now, and I'm sitting on a box, swinging my feet. "hey, teacher? Why did you come to this continent, if Ulivia was so amazing?" I've been wondering about this for a while. it never made sense to me.

"Well, in Ulivia, I'm just another teacher that can be easily replaced. I'm nothing special, so if I left, they wouldn't be harmed. But, if I come here, I would be cherished because there aren't many teachers out here. I guess I just wanted to be special." she laughed, clapping her hands. She wiped away her tears. "ah, but the true reason, is probably because I know kids here don't get good education but have the potential to be special. So what's one lost teacher to Ulivia? I came out here to give the children the treatment they deserve."

She looked at me, then ruffled my hair and got up. "Now, my question for you is are you hungry yet? because it's been over an hour since class ended. go on home! I'm a bit hungry myself."

"awww, fine I'll go. But ill ask double the questions tomorrow! oh yeah, if you're hungry you can come with us to eat! my mom and dad'll be super duper happy to see you!" I ask excitedly.

"No, I would love to, but I've got tons of work to do at home. clean the house, water the plants, stuff you'll have to do soon when you grow up. Now get out of here! I'm sure your parents are waiting."

"okay, bye miss teacher!" I wave at her and start to run towards my house. As I run, I see a few people in full-back outfits. 'I don't know her name, I should ask it soon.' I thought, running merrily to my home.

Soma's pov

Screams fill the shed as blood splatters around, staining nearby clothes.

"P-please, I'll do anything, a-anything! S-stop, stop, don't get any closer! please! ST-AAAAAH!!!" A helpless man screamed. His words were not heard, as a man in a black uniform cut through his throat, ending the poor man's life. He sheathes his sword turning to me.

I wince. I never really liked this job. but I know that it's for humanity. Because if we don't do this, we'll go extinct. At least that's what the scientists say. Around us were multiple dead bodies, lying lifelessly, a few still alive. I look at the man in front of me. shaking in fear and barely able to put two words together.

I raise my hand and grab his collar, lift him, and put my hand on his throat. I squeeze, slowly increasing my strength. And as the grip gets tighter, the light in his eyes disappears. I watch as he slowly stops struggling, till he finally droops down. After a couple of minutes, I laid him back down on the floor and sat on my knees, offering a small prayer for everyone here.