Chapter 8: GENESIS : 50: 24-38

🃏

Words are bonds.

The Lee family has served the Jeons for generations after generations, and now it is Lee Jun-yeol's turn to carry the oath that was made by their forefathers.

His loyalty is to the present leader of the Jeon household-or so it was supposed to be; however, things changed along the way, and now Jun-yeol is betting everything on a young alpha who isn't quite ready to take over the family just yet.

Love, friendship, a promise, and a sin: all of these appear to have outweighed Jun-yeol's ostensibly unrivaled loyalty.

"Sir, the young master is already sleeping in his room... Yes, he did accompany the madam to the charity gala, and she appeared to have no complaints after. You have nothing to be concerned about, sir... After all, the young master is a good kid." Jun-yeol says over the phone to Jeon Jungho before the latter hangs up-and a few seconds later, Jun-yeol felt a different phone vibrating from his coat pocket, and when he checked, he saw another text message from Kim Taehyung.

<From: Kim Taehyung>

I want to see you.

-

Jun-yeol deletes it once more, leaving no record of Taehyung ever contacting Jeongguk.

"Not yet... It isn't the right time for the phoenix to rise from the ashes... Young man, I hope you can be a little more patient," Jun-yeol says as he slips Jeongguk's phone back in his pocket.

***

"Oh? It's you? Why? Is the 'prince' too busy to face a mere commoner?" Woo-shik inquires, meeting Jun-yeol discretely at the back of Jeon's residence.

"Indeed he is," Jun-yeol responds, pulling out a cash envelope and presenting it to the beta, whom he assumed works for Jeongguk.

"Wow... Isn't this quite a lot?" Woo-shik grins as he swiftly tallies the money. "What now? Did he say anything about my next task?" Woo-shik asks.

"That is for you to keep your mouth shut. I'd rather keep the young master in the dark about what happened to Kim Taehyung-ssi earlier today. In this place, all the walls have both eyes and ears, and I'm worried that if Jeon Jungho learns about the unfortunate child and his bond with his son, things will spiral out of hand." Jun-yeol says as he gives Woo-shik his business card. "From now on, until the young master contacts you again, you are to tell me anything concerning Kim Taehyung, whom my young master appears to fancy enough to risk his everything," Jun-yeol continues, prompting Woo-shik to stop and look at him suspiciously.

"Mhm... I don't know much about the family you're serving, 'good sir,' but I do know that as the chief butler, you're supposed to report to Jeon Jungho, the current head of the household... So why do I get the impression that this isn't the case for you? Whose side are you really on-" Woo-shik pauses, cheekily glancing at the business card in his hand. "Lee Jun-yeol-ssi?" Woo-shik continues, watching as Jun-yeol's lips twist up to a smirk.

"My loyalty belongs to the alpha who will bring true glory to this messed up family... I will be contacting you soon, so keep your mouth shut and your lines open. See you soon, beta," Jun-yeol says, nodding properly to Woo-shik before returning to the mansion.

"Looks like I got myself a regular-good paying job this time, huh? Not bad... Definitely not bad," Woo-shik sneers as he walks away, counting the money in his hands all over again.