Chapter 3: Rotten Apples

🃏

"What are you up to, Guk?" Yoongi asks as he hits the break shot on the pool table in his 'dungeon,' the playroom where he frequently hangs out with Jin, Namjoon, and now with Jeongguk.

"Mhm? What do you mean, hyung?" Jeongguk says, munching on the tteok soon he brought on his way here after hanging out with Taehyung earlier, while Jin is busy playfully pinning butterfly clips in Jeongguk's hair just to see whether it will look cute.

"Yeah, what do you mean, Yoongi-ah-.."

"Stop babying him, Jin. He's not ten anymore... If he goes out with those clips on his hair, he might actually be Jang Minho's next target," Yoongi sighs, rolling his eyes at Jin, who is still adding more clips on Jeongguk's hair.

"Why? Are you scared of that Jang kid, Min? That's so unlike you, y'know?" Namjoon comments as he joins Yoongi on the pool table.

"Who's scared of who, really? My point is, Guk just got back here, and he's getting so much attention already; we all know how Jeon Jungho is, so if Jang Minho opens his mouth, do you really think chairman Jeon would just sit quietly?" Yoongi replies as he turns his attention to Jeongguk. "He did it again, didn't he? That's why you weren't around for three days last week," Yoongi adds, causing everyone to freeze, except Jeongguk, who is still nonchalantly chewing his tteokbokki.

"I'm fine though?" Jeongguk merely shrugs, failing to see how his three friends exchanged worried glances.

"I already warned you. Associating yourself with someone like Kim Taehyung is like asking for trouble. A guy like that won't do you any good." Yoongi says, clutching his fists tightly when Jeongguk's eyes suddenly flash red at him.

"Why? Because he's poor?" Jeongguk asks, getting up from his seat, breaking the stick of soondae he just finished eating.

"No- it's because no matter what you do, your father will never approve of someone like him being close to you, can't you see? If you continue whatever the fuck you're planning to do with him- you'll break him. Aren't you feeling at least a tad bit bad for the guy at all?" Yoongi asserts, ignoring the sudden rise in tension in the air while Namjoon gets in between him and Jeongguk.

"Why does that even matter to you? Oh... Don't tell me- are you also interested in him, hyung?" Jeongguk asks, pushing his tongue against his cheek as a taunting smirk curls up on his lips.

"Don't fuck with me- you know why I'm saying all this," Yoongi responds, his eyes also flashing red at Jeongguk.

"Hey, hey, take it easy you two," Joon says, concerned about what might happen if Jeongguk and Yoongi continue their conversation.

The thing is, Yoongi is Jeongguk's best friend; in fact, Yoongi was the only person who was able to contact Jeongguk after the latter temporarily moved to Busan three years ago. They're all good friends, no doubt about that, but perhaps it's because Jeongguk and Yoongi are the only dominant alphas in their group that the two have always been closer; they almost have the same personality, which also means they frequently clash with one another.

And now that Jeongguk has returned, Yoongi is back to keeping the group's youngest alpha in check, as he always does before.

"*Sigh* Can you guys tone it down? It stinks here now," Jin complains, rolling his eyes as he opens the windows to let the noxious pheromones of the two dominant alphas out of the room.

"You haven't changed, hyung. You still worry too much," Jeongguk says, breaking the tension-filled silence, feeling his phone vibrate inside his pocket-an unknown number had just sent him a message.