Chapter 8 pt3: Dinner turned disaster

ASTRAEA'S POV

We had all finished eating so now we were just talking. Carlos has such an amazing family! His mom doesn't exactly like me that much but other than that, they're all so lively and fun. Enzo, Carlos and I are currently playing "Never Have I Ever".

Enzo: Okay, never have I ever kissed the same gender.
Carlos and Astraea: Never.
Enzo: Geez you guys are boring. Anyway, never.
Carlos: Never have I ever fallen down a flight of stairs. Never.
Enzo: Never. I'm not that clumsy.
Astraea: I have.
Enzo: Spill!
Astraea: This happened last year. So I was getting ready for school, it was pretty early. I had my airpods in. While walking down the stairs, I tried to walk on beat. That was good until suddenly I missed a step. I ended up falling down the stairs and spraining my ankle. I missed the step while looking directly at the stairs and focusing on each step.

I internally cringed at myself for that. Carlos and Enzo started laughing. Carlos has a pretty laugh and it made butterflies swirl in my stomach.

Astraea: Okay, never have I ever-

Suddenly, Matteo ran into the room looking both worried and serious.

Matteo: I'm sorry to interrupt but we've got a problem. The Phoenix Mafia is here.
Carlos: How many of them?
Matteo: 50. They've surrounded the building. Lexi's got men defending the premises. She said to inform you.
Carlos: I'll be outside in a second. Enzo, Carmella, you're with me. Dad, take everyone to the safe room.

Carlos glanced at me before running off with Enzo and Carmella. Angelo took Giovanni, Maria and I to the safe room. While on our way, I heard a beeping sound. I thought it was just in my head but it sounded too real.

Angelo: Giovanni, don't get out until I come to get you. I'm going to help Matteo.

Giovanni nodded and Angelo left us in the room. Giovanni and Maria were talking about something but I wasn't listening. I was trying to focus on that beeping sound. I saw Giovanni listen to something through an earpiece.

Giovanni: I have to go. Please stay in here.
Astraea: What's wrong?
Giovanni: There's a bomb in the building. I have to locate and disable it.
Astraea: I can do it.
Giovanni: No, Carlos said to make sure you stay here.
Astraea: But I know where it is.

He hesitated but then he gave me his gun and an earpiece, and let me go. I could hear the beeping sound, it was coming from upstairs. I ran up the stairs and just as I turned the corner, I saw figures.

??: There's a minute left until this whole place is blown up. The Angel has no idea too. Soon there'll be nothing left of the DeLuca family.

The men started walking in my direction. I spotted a gun on each of them, luckily they had no weapons in their hands. Once they were close enough, I grabbed one of them and knocked him unconscious. The other one tried to shoot me, but I missed the bullet just in time. I took Giovanni's gun and shot the man. While I aimed for his chest, I shot his arm. Well it was close and it's dark.

I restrained both of them before rushing to the room where I heard the bomb. It was in my room?! I quickly found the bomb hidden in the bathroom. These people are stupid. I took a screwdriver from the bathroom cabinet and opened up the bomb. I looked for the red wire and disconnected it. The timer stopped.

Astraea: *into earpiece* The bomb has been disabled.
Carlos: What? Giovanni, you let her out of the room?!
Giovanni: She was persistent.
Astraea: And I captured two soldiers.
Carmella: Damn, that's badass.
Carlos: All by yourself?
Astraea: Yup!
Carlos: Well done Princesa!
Astraea: Thanks.

I blushed. That nickname always gets me off guard. I heard Enzo and Carmella teasing Carlos and I laughed.

Astraea: Did you take care of the soldiers outside?
Enzo: Yeah, we did. It's safe to come out now.
Giovanni: Great.