34.1 - Normal (Kieran)

Start from the beginning

"She is an Energizer bunny," Marc said.

"That tracks with our dates. We've gone walking, canoeing, hiking, and she even took me rollerblading. I'm still sore! If I keep this up, we'll be running a marathon for our six-month anniversary." 

Felicity's and Naomi's friends laughed with Kieran.

Marc turned to Shivanna. "Didn't she and Luke do the Manitoba Marathon?"

She nodded.

Naomi had brought up Luke too, the nice boyfriend she'd liked but who couldn't handle her asexuality. Of course, the guy was an athlete, like her other friends, minus Shivanna, to remind Kieran he was an outsider.

"Am I Naomi's only non-athletic boyfriend?" Kieran asked.

Shivanna and Marc glanced at each other. "There was one who worked at the movie theatre."

"They went on a few dates, but I wouldn't really call it dating. He got us into that staff-only midnight show," Shivanna said.

"I disappear for a minute, and you're sharing my dating history?" Naomi shot a look at Marc and Shivanna, who frowned and glanced at the grass.

He patted the chair beside him. "It's fine. I asked if I was the only non-athletic guy you've dated, so if you blame anyone, it should be me."

"I had the question about Luke and the marathon first. It's on me," Marc said, proving again that he was a decent person, unlike his roommate.

"I may enjoy sports, but there's more to a partner than that. Kieran, you're the sweetest person. Even when there's nothing for you to gain, you support me, care about me, and accept me. That is the most important. Full stop." She stood behind him and placed her hand on his shoulder. 

His throat choked up before he could reply.

"To Kieran." Shivanna raised her glass, and everyone else chorused and sipped their drinks. 

His beer tasted better and crisper than it had all day. After returning the can to his cup holder, he reached up to squeeze Naomi's hand. While she was no stranger to complimenting him when they were alone, her immediate rush to defend him in front of all of her friends meant a lot.

"And I would like to toast to my amazing partner Louisa." Shivanna held up her glass. "This is new, but we have an incredible bond. When I'm lost in my art or buried in work, you sit in the mess with me and pull me out. Here's to less work and more awesome adventures together."

Louisa pulled Shivanna into a passionate kiss that had the others, especially her friends, cheering.

Naomi took a seat beside Kieran, smiling as the next person proposed a toast. The tradition continued between couples and friends, spreading love and positivity.

"You started something," he said.

"It was unintentional."

"That's the thing about kindness. It ricochets and changes the environment as it moves through it, just like you."

Naomi chuckled. "That's an oversell of my impact."

"Nah. Before we met, I wouldn't have been open to this. Most people aren't like you. They don't brush aside my weight like it's nothing, they don't declare how much I mean to them in front of people who matter to them, and they would rather see me fail as I am than succeed in any way other than their view of normal. By their logic, I should have started 'working on myself' to earn your attention and love, and when I'm fit and muscular, you would notice me."

"I don't care about that. I like that you're big and intimidating to other people, but a total softie for me, and that your reaction when seeing delicious food is, let's share that without hesitation. We're active together too, and we do fun things."