Ark 3 - The truth is sometimes hard to bear

Comenzar desde el principio

Bright lightning surrounded the undead's body as Zhao Yang channeled his power into the other's skin, burning the flesh beneeth his hands. Nevertheless, The enemy did not just dropp dead from such an attack but freed itself from the iron like grip on it's neck. With a hiss it backed away into a corner where it growled in frustration.

Without waiting for it to recover Zhao Yang set after it, swinging a short knife in each hand and Shu Ning did his best to support the other with his barriers. Moving it from one place to the other everytime tose claws or teeth got too close to the Man's form. Creating enough diversion so that Hu Jin could direct Lao Lao and the injured through the door and down the corridor.

With well practiced team work and the assistance of Nian Zhei they finally managed to back the zombie into a corner and Zhao Yang plunged both of his swords into the throat of the undead, cleanly sepperating it's head from it's body. With a dull thud it landed a few paces away from them, roling under a table where it moved out of sight.

When it was clear that the undead would not rise again they made their way out of the underground laboratory and met up with the remaining survivors of their group. After making sure no one was missing, mostly that Xu Dan had not fled the scene, they hurried to their parked vehicles and made their way back to their home Base.

----------------------------------------------------

When they finally made it behind the grey walls of the safe Base Shu Ning grabbed hold of Xu Dan's arms and pulled him to a stop. The rest of their team members ceased walking as well and everyone turned their gaze towards the young boy, all sporting a complicated expression. No one spoke for a while as they just stood around the distressed male, not knowing how to address the elefant in the room. 

Zhao Yang stood right next to Shu Ning and coldly scrutinized Xu Dan who was making an effort not to shrink away from that gaze. That made an amused smile curve the edges of Shu Ning's mouth and he almost couldn't help but chuckle at the venomous glare he received from the stepbrother in response.

"Now then. I am very sure everyone here has witnessed what you have done in the Laboratory. Trying to use a fellow human as a meat shield for your own measy life. That was quite the heartless act. That guy was making an effort to protect you after all. On top of that, if you had thought about using your water ability then you could have saved yourself just fine. Anything to say to that?"

"NO! I-I did not mean.... That was a reflex. I'm truly regretfull of that. Please, that was a stupid mistake."

"Stupid mistake? That's what you are calling it? This 'stupid mistake' of yours almost cost someones life."

"But he didn't die, right? Nothing happenned. And it will never happen again."

"You think you could just get out of this? Listen, You almost killed a comrad in arms and call it a 'stupid mistake' and 'reflexes'. That sounds more like you could do it again if it suits your cause and you can not always use the excuse of lifethreatening danger."

Nian Zhei nodded his approval at that and the man who had almost lost his life snorted in disgust at Xu Dan's willfullness. No one seemed satisfied with the boy's performance and Shu Ning grinned in satisfaction as the humans tightened their circle around the boy. In a rush the latter had tightly grabbed his shirt and pleadingly looked into his eyes.

"Please, brother. You know that I'm no bad person. I never did anything wrong, this was my first mistake. We are family, aren't we?"

"I don't remember you ever treating me that way though. And it would do you good to just own up to your mistakes like an adult."

"But what about your kid? What would he think if his uncle got labled a danger to humans? He wouldn't feel well with that, right? The poor kid could even get hurt by this."