A shiver ran down Hux's spine as if ice had been poured down the back of his shirt. "Reset?"

"What, you think I'm gonna give up the chance to have a guard dog with a killswitch?" Snoke scoffed. "Like I said - ain't your concern. Now get the fuck out, and get the job done. Tonight. You got it?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Because if the sun comes up and that bastard isn't dead, I'm tossing you into the furnace with him. Get out."

Hux turned on his heel and marched out, his legs shaking and barely keeping him upright. As soon as he'd turned the corner, they gave out, sending him crumpling to the floor. He leaned up against the wall, taking shaking breaths and running his fingers through his hair. He pulled sharply, trying to do something to combat the cold numbness that had spread all over him and made him feel as if he was floating up toward the ceiling. He didn't realize he was rocking until the back of his head began to ache from hitting the wall repeatedly. Even so, he didn't stop, shoving his fist into his mouth but unable to stifle the sob that echoed down the hall.

Hux knew he was acting strange, but his main objective now was to get the job done as quickly as possible before morning came. He practically jogged through the halls, Ben and Blue having to power walk to keep up with him.

"Hux," Ben called eventually. "What are you in such a hurry for?"

"It's just through here," Hux said in lieu of answering. "We'll get a look and then make a plan how to destroy it."

"Okay," Ben agreed, a little breathless as he jogged to catch up with him. "Still doesn't explain why you're running around like a headless chicken all of a sudden."

"Just wanna get this over with, dear," Hux said firmly, not looking at him. "We've wasted too much time."

They emerged into the core chamber, the racket of mechanical whirring and clanging nearly deafening . It was dark, save for the ominous orange light that bathed the areas that weren't shrouded by scaffolding. Hux climbed the nearest staircase, whether or not Ben was behind him, only a secondary thought, now. Have to blow it up, have to get Ben into Ryan's office, have to do it before morning. He followed the catwalk down to Harmonic Core 3, sitting pretty at the end of another walkway before an observation deck. He squinted up at it.

"Any ideas?" Ben asked, coming to stand beside him.

"Still bankin' on the blowing it up thing. Although I'm not sure how we're gonna get a blast big enough for that."

Ben approached the railing, bracing himself on it with his hands. "Any idea how this tech works?"

"Not much."

"I mean, could we just turn it off?"

Hux snorted. "No. Power comes from the Earth. Volcanic vents, or something."

"Shit," Ben sighed heavily. "What about an overload?"

Hux glanced at him. "What?"

"You know, like a sympathetic overload," said Ben. "Short it out somehow. Like an EMP?"

"You got an EMP in your pocket you ain't told me about, Ben?"