Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South

Beginne am Anfang

Manabe's POV

"Oh my, are my ears working properly, or did the cold-hearted Queen apologize?" I whipped my head to see Saki with a smug smile.

Rika and Nanami were also with her...

"How much did you hear?" I glared at Saki.

"I'll never tell!" Saki giggled and ran away.

"When I get my hands on you, you're dead meat!" I shot up from the sun chair and chased after her.

~Timeskip~

Ayanokouji's POV

On the fourth night of the particular examination trial, the D-class personnel felt depressed. It felt like we were keeping vigil because of the incident. After all, the culprit was found, but the tension was still there.

Today, I was in charge of tending the fire. It was a monotonous task of adding branches.

The problem, though, lay elsewhere.

"Hey, Ayanokouji-kun! I told you to move the tent properly, didn't I?"

"Move it more to the left. Because it's too close to the boys."

A sigh escaped my lips, "All right."

They just gave me an unreasonable order, and I accepted it reluctantly. The girls left with anger.

"It's hard when forced to do miscellaneous routine duties."

"Look who's talking. I would have been alright if it wasn't for your unnecessary recommendation," Horikita said.

"There was no other way. Hirata is not to be trusted. Insurance is necessary."

"You are the only one in class who doesn't trust Hirata. It's better not to think that everyone lives by being two-faced."

"That's true. I am not two-faced," Horikita lives by being true to herself.

She ended up dodging this rather skilfully.

"However, most people use their real intentions quite differently from their principles. Just like you do. Moreover, I don't trust any of them because charity and hypocrisy are two sides of the same coin."

It seemed that her trust issues weren't limited only to Hirata. They applied to Kushida as well.

"Still, I trust Hirata very much."

"Ah! At least I can count on you. You are reliable," Horikita told me.

"Rely on me? Can you at least say that I have a good influence on the class because of him?"

Since Horikita believed I had information she didn't know and I answered her with no expression, she counterattacked.

"Despite Hirata-kun's imperfections, he still tries his best as a coordinator. Although, there are some challenges to organizing events with both boys and girls present."

"It's impressive that he took on a big role without complaint, but success is necessary. Unfortunately, the situation looks dire as we have very few D Class points."

"It seems that there was an excessive amount of spending. I can't estimate exactly."

"Just as I thought... Hirata, whom you trust so much, keeps his lips sealed," Horikita stated.

"What do you mean?"

Horikita had a severe expression, "Follow me."

I wonder what it is that I should see so much that we left the fire unattended.