chapter 8

Emma

"Emma, wake up." I roll over, keeping my eyes closed, hoping my best friend will leave me alone.

Carly places her hands on my side and rocks my body back and forth. "Open your eyes, Emma."

Nonchalantly, I roll over, laying on my back, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "Somebody better be dying," I mumble.

"I fucked Shawn." Carly whisper-yells. "He and I slept together last night when you and Jake went to his room. We had a few drinks before calling it a night, and one thing led to another." She snatches the covers off me. "Do you think he regrets it?"

I glare at her vacantly, trying to take everything in. Clearly, I had just woken up, feeling hungover from last night, and here my friend admits she fucked her long-time crush. "How was it?" I challenge.

Carly pushes me off the bed, landing on my back, no longer feeling sleepy. "It was everything I imagined it would be." She falls into a love daze, cheeks glistening with redness.

Snapping my fingers in her face, pulling her out of her trance, I ask, "Why do you think Shawn regrets sleeping with you? Did you not suck him like you showed me with the banana?" I tease, recalling when she had taught me how to give Jake a blow job, which I haven't done yet.

I was going to save the blow job for a goodbye present when Carly and I fly back home to Maryland.

"Emma," she cackles, helping me from the floor. "Shawn left me in bed, alone." She complains.

"Well, Jake is not in bed either," I assert. "Maybe they are out grabbing us breakfast," I suggest.

"Don't be foolish, Emma." Carly retorts, following me inside the bathroom. "I expect something happened."

"Like what?" I take Jake's toothbrush from the bathroom counter, apply toothpaste, and brush my teeth, scrubbing hard to remove the taste of liquor from my mouth.

"Before waking you up, I searched his entire hotel room, and they were outraged by something on their cell phones." Emma's forehead creases with worry.

"Maybe they're checking their schedule, considering Shawn has a concert in Arizona tomorrow and he hasn't left Toronto yet. Not to mention Jake has to leave for his tour in a couple of days." I blabber with a mouthful of foam from the toothpaste.

Emma props her head in her hands and sighs. "I think it's something more. I eavesdropped and overheard them mention their manager."

Quickly, I spit the toothpaste into the sink, gargle, and rinse the sink. "Do you think it had something to do with last night?"

"That's what I'm afraid of, Emma," Carly admits. "Do we sneak out or wait to see how everything will unfold when or if they return?"

"I'm not leaving Carly," I promised Jake I would at least stay for the rest of the week, and that's what I'm going to do. "If I keep running at the first sign of trouble, I'll never know if Jake or I have a chance."

"Well, I'm leaving. And you're going to help me sneak out without Shawn spotting me." Carly announces as I look inside the bag of clothes Jake had placed in the bathroom for me.

Smiling to myself, I remove the clothes from the bag and slide them on. "You better not leave, Carly. You wanted a chance with Shawn, and now you have your chance. So, don't ruin it, please."

"I know." She whines. "I understand why you were apprehensive about Jake." She forces a smile, but knowing Carly for as long as I have, I recognize the smile is bogus.