"Why are you here?" He asked.

"I kind of just told you. Everybody is staring at me like I'm naked. My mother is in the hospital and there isn't anybody to pay the bills but me. She'll probably be taken away, then me. And I can't have that, you know? I need to stay here because I need the highest GPA. It's all just going downhill," I proclaimed.

Ace walked over to me. He copied my posture, leaning with his back against the guardrail with his shoulder just brushing mine.

"You seem more than capable to handle your situation. I'm sure you'll get through it. And don't worry about the money. The doctors are going to understand what you're going through. They're not just going to ignore you," he promised.

"How do you know?"

"I used to be in the same situation you are in a few years back. Then I moved here, but I was willing to move. You on the other hand..." he laughed.

"Are you mocking me?" I smiled.

"No, I'm not. It's good that you have a goal but it's a pointless goal," he shrugged.

"I know. I totally understand that it's a pointless goal. I just- I can't let it go. I feel like when my dad died all of me went with him. I don't have happiness in my life anymore, and I think meeting a goal like that will give me back a piece of myself. And now I'm being really cheesy," I sighed.

"Not cheesy. Truthful," he determined.

I shook my head. "I'm obsessive."

"Aren't we all?" He questioned.

And to that, I didn't have an answer.

I ended up going to the hospital to see my mom. Ace and I were still on for tonight, Jade was bringing my homework to work for me. I have to say that Ace is a very insightful person. I almost didn't want to leave him.

I had spoken to the doctor and he was estimating tomorrow morning she would wake up. It would be Saturday morning. I would wait for the phone call.

I just sat there in the uncomfortable blue chair, tipping my head back. The beeping of the machine was getting harder to listen to with every beep. Her IV was dropping clear liquid. Her skin was pale and sweaty. Her hair was a mess on top of her head. She just looked like death.

"This is ridiculous," I sighed to myself.

"Agreed," a voice behind me said.

I turned to be greeted by Ace.

What on earth was he doing here?

"I followed you," he started. "But not because I wanted to. I thought you were in a state of distress and I didn't want you doing anything rash."

I smiled. "That's really thoughtful of you."

"How long are you staying?" He asked. He was leaning against the door frame.

"Not too much longer. She's not suppose to wake up until tomorrow," I explained.

"Want some company?"

This took me off guard. Why was Ace being so nice? And to me, of all people.

"Sure, I guess," I replied.

Ace grabbed the seat that was placed under the table. He slid it over to the other side of the bed, by my mom's feet.

"You look tired," he observed.

"Yeah I am. I just- I can't go back to school, not with the whole rumor thing. And I still haven't figured out how I'm going to pay the hospital bills. It hasn't even come up yet. And work," I explained myself.

"Do you want to cancel the tutoring?" He said, scrunching his eyebrows together.

"No! No, I promised we would do it and we are. I'm not going to keep pushing it back, it'll never get done," I rushed.

"Are you that eager to spend time with me?" He smirked.

I rolled my eyes, " I'm stuck with you, and not by choice."

"You didn't have to say yes to Van," he inquired.

"I can't have my grade drop. The only reason I'm tutoring you is because I failed that test,"I muttered.

Ace leaned forward in his chair, his eyebrows raising.

"You failed a test?" He breathed.

"It was your fault," I sighed.

"How was it my fault?" He demanded, a smile twitching at his lips.

"I was still mad at you for not showing up to take me to work. I had trusted you and you didn't even care," I pushed.

"I had something going on! I couldn't get a hold of you to apologize and when I did finally catch up to you, you didn't let me explain," he defended himself.

"Yeah, I know. I realized that mid-test and I started feeling really bad and then it just got worse," I sighed.

"So you were thinking about me?" He smiled.

"No, I was thinking about your actions that made me upset," I protested.

"Yeah, whatever," he chuckled.

It was rounding noon and my stomach growled. I had skipped breakfast this morning.

"Come on, let's get out of here," I proclaimed, standing up.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"I'm starving," I shrugged.

"Well, let's get your tiny body some nutrients," he replied.

Thanks for the votes! Keep them coming, keep sharing. Feel free to comment! I'll reply to them as soon as possible! ♡♡♡