Chapter 24

It was already 11 pm, and Freen had already fallen asleep. I tried to sleep in her room because she didn't want me to leave, but I couldn't sleep well beside her.

I was worried she might hear my heart pounding because of how close she was. I didn't want her to know I felt nervous around her.

I'm not sure when this all began, maybe it was when she kissed me that one night. Or when she smiled at me? Or it could have been when I saw her in that boyish outfit. It's hard to pinpoint.

I slid out of bed quietly so as not to wake her up and stepped out of the room. As soon as I got out, I got a message from Nat, telling me to look ahead. I followed his direction.

Nat lifted the plastic he was holding and signaled for me to come over.

I didn't know Nat that well, but I felt at ease around him. Maybe it's because he treats me with respect, and it seems like he genuinely admires my talents, like a true fan.

"What's this?" I asked, peering into the plastic.

"Milk tea. I know you're a milk tea lover," he said, chuckling. He helped me insert the straw and handed it to me.

"How did you know I was here?" I inquired.

"Here? Do you mean here at the university or here at Freen's dorm?" he asked, chuckling. Nat glanced at the moon and grinned.

"Both," I deadpanned.

Nat laughed again and looked me in the eye. "I know you're always at the university, even during summer break. And I had no idea you were at Freen's dorm." Nat explained. "I wanted to give you that milk tea if I spotted you at the library, but you weren't there, so I headed back to the boys' dormitory. That's when I saw you leaving the building as I passed by." Nat shrugged and chuckled.

"You're quite the talker," I said, focusing on sipping my milk tea.

"Why so quiet?" Nat inquired.

"I wish you were too," I joked, looking up at the moon.

Nat chuckled and pointed at the stars. He used his fingers to trace constellations and laughed when he found Sagittarius.

"You're a Sagittarius, right?" he asked.

I nodded and sighed. "What's your sign?" I asked.

"Leo," he replied.

"Like Freen's," I chuckled, searching the stars for Leo.

"We share the same birthday," Nat revealed, causing me to glance at him. "Surprised? You think I'm lying?" He chuckled.

"I'm just caught off guard. You two seemed like strangers," I remarked.

"Freen and I used to date, kind of a puppy love thing," Nat chuckled. "But she ended it because she couldn't feel that special connection."

"What kind of connection was she expecting? An electric shock?" I quipped and chuckled.

Nat smiled as he heard me laugh. Um, this is getting awkward.

"But I'm actually grateful. If she hadn't broken up with me, I wouldn't have met you," Nat said, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear, making me shiver briefly.

I shifted back a bit, and Nat noticed, quickly apologizing.

"If you don't need me for anything else, I should go now," I excused myself, but Nat stopped me by touching my hand.

"Wait, I wanted to ask if you could tutor me again next academic year," Nat said, scratching the back of his neck. "Would you be up for that?"

"I'll be raising my fee next year. Is that still okay with you?" I asked.

Nat nodded and smiled, letting go of my hand. He thanked me and I turned around, spotting Freen watching us from a distance. She didn't look pleased, and the way she looked at Nat seemed pained.

Hold on, does she still have feelings for Nat? I thought she was the one who broke up with him.

Freen turned away and walked off quickly. I barely managed to reach the door before she could close it.

"Freen!" I called out, and she opened the door with a furrowed brow.

"What?" she snapped, irritation evident in her voice.

"Are you jealous?" I asked. "There's nothing going on between Nat and me. Plus, Nat said you were the one who broke up with him, so you shouldn't have feelings for him, right?" I explained, trying to assure her I wasn't trying to steal her former flame.

"I'm not jealous of him," Freen retorted.

"Then why did you act that way?" I questioned.

Freen fell silent for a moment. "I'm just upset that you left me alone to talk to him," she admitted, fiddling with her fingers nervously.

"I couldn't sleep here, that's all. It's not about you. It's my thoughts keeping me up," I clarified.

Freen nodded slowly, still focused on the ground. I stepped closer and lifted her chin. Her eyes were so captivating, like I could drown in them. I couldn't look away, couldn't tear my gaze from her.

Do I really like Freen? Is this what liking someone feels like? If it is, then I'm in trouble.