Chapter 6

Prof. Kim and I talked about the private tutor class, and he understood why I wanted to quit. Freen was really tough to handle, and he respected my decision. Mr. Chankimha also agreed not to let Freen take classes about business law since she was still in her first year and had a lot to handle.

Months went by, and luckily, I didn't run into Freen anymore. I'm not even sure if she remembers me, but honestly, I don't really care now. Life has been so much more peaceful without her around, although her artwork seems to be everywhere at school.

The last two semesters have been really tough for me. I didn't want to burden my parents with money matters, as I could earn some money on my own. Besides, I didn't need to worry about tuition and dorm fees.

While having lunch in the cafeteria, my friend Irin noticed I was eating a simple sandwich.

"Hey, Becky, is everything okay? Not enough allowance for today?" she asked with concern.

I shook my head and smiled, "No, I'm just trying to save up for next year. You never know what might come up, so it's better to be prepared."

Just then, my phone rang, and it was my brother Richie. I hadn't heard from him since I started university, so it was quite surprising to get his call.

"Do you want me to visit you at EHU today?" he asked.

I replied, slightly annoyed, "Why would I want you to visit me?"

"Oh, come on, Becca. I know you miss your handsome brother," Richie chuckled.

I rolled my eyes, "I'm just curious, why are you going there anyway?"

"Somebody offered me a job as a private tutor, and it's for Mr. Chankimha's daughter. Apparently, her last tutor quit," he explained.

I coughed, shocked by his revelation. Did Mr. Chankimha contact my brother to replace me? That's just absurd!

"Richie, you know it's confidential, right? You shouldn't be mentioning the identity of your student," I told him.

"Oh, relax. I only mentioned it to you, and besides, you don't even know her, do you?" he replied nonchalantly.

Well, actually, I do know her, but I really don't care.

I hung up the call and noticed the buzz among students in the cafeteria. Richie was walking confidently towards us, and girls were greeting him, swooning over his "cool" appearance. To me, he was just a typical annoying brother.

"Why are you wearing sunglasses? It's not even sunny," I teased him.

Richie sat next to me, smiled at Irin, who was practically starstruck, and said, "Well, you know, I've got to maintain my image."

I rolled my eyes, "Aren't you supposed to go to your student? She won't like waiting."

"That girl has some patience. She even waited for someone who didn't recognize her," Richie chuckled and took a sip of my juice.

"You act like you know her well," I remarked skeptically.

"Of course! She's quite famous, you know?" Richie grinned and shook his head. Then he tried to snatch my sandwich, but I managed to reclaim it.

Irin offered her sandwich to Richie, but he politely declined. He turned to me and sighed, concerned.

"Becca, why are you so hard on yourself? You know I can help you out with money. You can always ask mom and dad, right?" he said.

I motioned for Richie to stop before he said more, but he didn't get the hint. He took my bag, searched for my wallet, and opened it without waiting for my permission.

I couldn't react fast enough to stop him. He peered inside and found nothing, as I didn't have enough money for the day.

"Becky, are you starving yourself now?" he scolded me.

Embarrassed, I lowered my head as students around us started to notice. I sighed and bit my lip, feeling exposed.

"Please, just go. I don't need your opinion about my budget," I said, taking back my wallet.

Richie looked at me with disbelief, then left the cafeteria. Irin looked at him walking away and then turned to me.

"Why did you do that to your handsome brother? Can't you see he's just worried about you?" she asked with a hint of admiration.

"He might be handsome, but he's also an annoying brother. Trust me, you wouldn't want to trade places with me," I replied, trying to lighten the mood.

Irin chuckled, "Well, I guess I'll stick with being your friend then. But can I get his number?"

I squinted at her playfully, "Really? You sure about that?"

Irin nodded cheerfully, so I handed her my phone.

"Marry him soon, so I wouldn't see his face anymore."