Chapter 14

Kit and I spent the rest of the afternoon in the fitness center with Janine. My gorgeous roommate was quickly learning all the new routines that Janine had wanted to implement and was feeling much better about things already. No, we wouldn't see immediate results, but any improvement would help her next month when we were competing in Paris. It killed me that she hadn't been able to start earlier, because she deserved to have a fair shot at being at her best.

But, had I not been her roommate, who knows what would have happened? Would I have still stepped in after seeing her on the diving platform for so long, or would I not have paid as much attention, because it wasn't someone I knew? Thankfully, that wasn't something I needed to answer.

Once we showered, with Kit once more cutely peeking when we changed though I continued to hold a towel up for her, Janine drove us back to the hotel where we all got dinner. Janine seemed to have become a personal coach just for Kit, and I was happy that she was getting the attention needed to get her in the best shape she could be in. Coach Murphy, the main diving coach, had been working with the rest of the women's team, so Janine had free reign to correct the issues that Kit had been experiencing before. Just seeing her eat more was already good, as she was looking happier too.

I might be hoping that I had something to do with that happiness too.

"So, I have the reporter coming tonight at 8pm. Her name is Erin, and I'll meet her here, and bring her to your room, if that is okay," Janine told us while we finished dinner. She'd been busy on her phone the entire time, and I was sure she was finishing up those arrangements. "I thought you might be more comfortable there, since you're more used to relaxing there. She won't take any video, but she will probably make an audio recording, and might take pictures when we're done if you're okay with it. Does that sound good?"

Kit and I both nodded. Our room would be more comfortable than a public area or going out to a studio or something. "Does it matter what we wear?" I wondered.

"Yeah, wear one of your Team USA warm up outfits, just to get that image out there," she replied quickly. We'd all been issued shirts in both tee shirt and polo form as well as sweatpants and joggers for wearing to team functions, and I guess this counted since there could be photos.

When we got to our room, there wasn't a lot to do to get ready. We'd already showered, and neither of us wore much make up with our life spent in the pool. But we did change into the USA sweatpants and our team polo shirts before settling in to watch a little more She Ra, with Kit in her customary position on my lap.

"Are you going to sit there while Erin interviews us?" I asked her lightly.

"Yep. I don't care if she thinks we're dating. We can explain it either way. But I like being here. I'll be more confident with you holding me," Kit replied with a grin.

"Oh? It isn't just an excuse to snuggle with me, huh?"

She arched one of her delicate eyebrows. "Do I need an excuse for that?"

"Of course not. But you should be aware, if you ever decide to date someone other than me, they're not going to like you in my lap so much." I tickled her a little, just to make her squirm deliciously in my lap.

Once I stopped tickling her, she drew her legs up, burrowing into me with her head in the crook of my neck. "I guess maybe I shouldn't date anyone else then, huh?"

I gently pressed my lips to the top of her head. "You know what I think about that already. I'm willing to wait for you to be comfortable. Just like you didn't want me to do anything with Mark, I don't want you to do anything you're not sure about. Holding you like this, cuddling in bed, you cheering me on today, doing everything together and enjoying each other's company. None of that would change if we dated, okay? So, we can keep doing all the same things no matter what and I'd still be happy."