• 47.

༺♥༻

Life has never felt so peaceful before. Sometimes when I close my eyes, I see myself five years ago when I first met Miguel in that grocery store when he was still just my science teacher. And here we are today, it's not the Pyrénées, but the Alpes near Switzerland. But there's still mountains, forests, lakes, meadows, sun and fresh wind. I was sitting on a wooden chair under the porch, painting Miguel in the meadows playing with Roberta.

Roberta is three years old, I got pregnant one month after we moved to France and she is a wonderful, intelligent little girl. At home, we talk to her in Spanish and English, and when she'll go to school for the first time in one month, she'll learn to speak French.

Miguel and I got married two years ago in Mexico, the wedding was absolutely amazing. I got married in a Vivienne Westwood dress and my parents came. I obviously sent them an invitation for their daughter's wedding, we had a talk after the ceremony and we're on good terms ever since. And I am glad Roberta has to spend time with her grandparents.

After that, we spent our honeymoon in Paris. Everything felt magical. When I was a teenager, I remember being scared I might loose that spark with my future husband and having to live doomed without love. But Miguel and I still have that spark, and love is still there and it feels like it's growing more and more everyday.

"You're so bonita, papa." I can hear Roberta talking to her father, sliding a daisy in his hair, a chuckle escapes my lips.

"Yeah? You're so much more bonita." He answers before kissing her cheek.

Roberta giggles before picking up another daisy as she tucks it in her father's hair. I dive my paintbrush into the green paint before finishing painting the grass.

All my life I have believed that I would never be happy and live a life because I didn't deserve it. But here I am, happily married with a daughter, my parents and I are getting along well again, I am living my dream life. We left everything behind us to come and live here and this is probably the best decision we have ever taken in our entire life.

Miguel picks up Roberta from the ground before holding her in his muscular arms, and what leaves me speechless is that Miguel got more and more muscular over the years. They start walking to me as I finish painting the grass. I smile and look at them as I show them the painting.

"You like it?" I ask.

"It's beautiful." Miguel answers with a smile.

Roberta seems too busy watching the birds chirping on the trees to pay attention to my painting. But she is still young and probably won't understand what it represents. Miguel draws Roberta's attention to the painting, he points at it.

"Look, it's you and I." He says with a smile.

Roberta raises her eyebrows with a smile and I grin. She starts giggling. Roberta is my guardian angel and it's hard to believe she is my daughter and that I made this beautiful angel. She has her father's hair and my face features. My pregnancy was hard but Miguel stayed with me and supported me all along.

"Beau!" She says excitedly, saying one french word among twenty she knows.

"Thank you love." I say with a smile before standing up.

Miguel puts Roberta on the ground as I put my paintbrush on the chair I was sitting on before. Miguel kisses me, gently sliding his hand on my throat, I smile against his lips.

"We should go, we're late." I say.

"Yeah, you're right." He whispers with a head tilt, and a chuckle escapes my lips.

I grab Roberta's hand and speak up.

"Come on, auntie Alysha is waiting for us at the airport." I say.

Roberta starts smiling before bouncing around excitedly. Her and Alysha immediately got along, the first person Miguel thought about to help him pack up our stuff when I went into labour was Alysha. And even if she lives thousands miles away from us now, she still feels so much closer than before. She took over her father's business and became very rich, richer than she already was.

"Yay!" Roberta says before running to the door.

Miguel chuckles and I turn to him, we organized a party here for the Fourth of July, and it's weird to celebrate America's Independence Day in France.

"When is Gabriel coming?" I ask my husband.

"Tomorrow morning, and he said he'd bring his Nintendo Switch with the new Zelda game." He tells me, and I giggle.

"Can't wait."