CHAPTER FIVE

The following morning, I wake up to find JJ making breakfast. I'm headed for the gym, but I stop by the kitchen to check in on him. He's wearing a robe and I catch myself wondering if he has anything on underneath. "Hey, man." I say, much too cheerily, obviously overcompensating for the awkwardness I kind of expect.

J.J looks to the side rather than all the way back at me and throws a "Hey" in my direction.

The fuck?

"You good? What are you making?" I walk up behind him to look over his shoulder. For a split second, I'm tempted to wrap my arms around his waist and hug him from behind as he cooks. What the hell are these thoughts??

"Just eggs and toast. You guys don't have any bacon so..."

I chuckle. "Guy, na Naija you dey."

Silence.

Seriously? What is wrong with him. Is he feeling awkward about what we did? Guilty? Disgusted? You know, all the things I should be feeling but don't?

"Dude...", I say, stepping up to the side and gently grabbing his arm so he'll stop for a second and look at me.

He doesn't. "What's up?", he says, eyes glued to the pan in front of him.

This is insane. I had gotten nothing but eye contact last night. It had made the whole thing a thousand times hotter. And now, all I get is the back of his head and the side of his face. It's like a kick in the balls.

"It doesn't mean shit. We messed around a little. Shit happens."

Pause. "Mm-hm. What kind of eggs do you like?"

This is starting to annoy me. "Just make yours. I'm not hungry." I start to walk away. I feel him look back at me. I turn back to look, and he quickly turns away.

"Wow. You know what? I'm not even going to mention the fact that you started the whole thing coz I let it continue when I could've stopped it. But the least you could do is not act like...like.." I can't even find the words.

"Whatever." I say, finally. "Fuck this."

I walk to the front door, open it and slam it behind me.