Chapter 10

It's meeting time. Nick picked me up from my house and now we're waiting on a bench just outside of Westfords gym. Coach Anders isn't here yet, but we're a little bit early so I didn't expect him to be here.

My leg keeps bouncing up and down with stress. What if the coaches don't like me? Or they don't think I'm good enough when they look at my game footage? Nick looks over at me and places a hand of my thigh.

I look over at him to see a light smile on his lips. "It's okay Bells, it's just a meeting." I bite my lip. Anxiety must be written all over my face. I nod, "thanks Nick. But what if they think I'm not good enough? I keep thinking of ways that this meeting is going to go wrong." I sigh, I know I'm probably overreacting but it's hard not to be stressed. The fate of my future is in these coaches hands!

Nick is about to speak when Coach Anders walks through the door. Nick squeezes my thigh in comfort. But little does he know it just stresses me out for a whole different reason.

"Bella," Coach Anders nods his head at me and then looks over to Nick, "oh how lovely to see you again Nick." Nick stands up and shakes Coach Anders's hand. "The pleasure is all mine." He smiles. I fight the urge to roll my eyes, he's so ridiculous.

"So how come you're here Nick? Ethan couldn't make it so you offered?" Nick looks over to me with a confused face. I just smile and he returns mine with a smile of his.

"No sir, Bella and I are together." Nick replies. Coach Anders looks towards me, a sheepish grin appears on my face.

"Oh, how nice," Coach Anders smiles, "I'm glad, you too are both the most dedicated players I've coached." Right after he says that, the Westford girls volleyball team walks out of the gym.

Coach Anders turns to me, "It's time Bella."

~

Nick and I enter his car and the biggest smile is planted on my face. I turn to him as soon as he sits down. "Did you hear that Nick! They said that they wanted to come see me play tonight!"

Nick looks over at me, a deep expression on his face. The expression lasts for a few seconds and then his face breaks into a huge smile. "I'm so proud of you." My face lights up into a bigger smile.

"I don't know why I was stressing out so much, I definitely wouldn't have if I'd known what was going to happen." I say, as I scroll through Taylor Swift songs on Nick's phone. I finally decide on New Romantics.

Nick just nods and listens to me rant about the whole meeting. We really just talked about me, my interests, my plans for the future, and then Coach Anders talked about me as a player, then showed the coaches game footage of me playing.

Nick drops me off at home and tells me he'll pick me up around 4:30. My game starts at six but my coach wants the whole team to be at the gym early. I got out of his car and thanked him for coming.

It's 2:00, the meeting took a little longer than expected but it's fine, it was worth it! I grab a snack from the kitchen and head upstairs to do my hair.

I braid two mini braids on the top of my head and then pull the rest of my hair into a high ponytail. I re-apply some concealer and foundation before putting on my jersey. Now I wait.

I decided to watch a movie for the next hour and a half. I grab my volleyball bag so we can go as soon as Nick picks me up.

I chose The Little Mermaid because it's my second favourite Disney movie. I munch on some frozen grapes while I wait for Nick to get here.

An hour and a bit later Nick texts me that he's outside. I shut off the tv, sling my backpack over my shoulder, and grab my water bottle from the fridge.