Chapter 8

It's been a couple days since Nick's game and I haven't seen him since. I think he's trying to keep his distance because he thinks what happened was his fault. But it wasn't, it was mine.

I wonder if our deal is off because of this? The whole ride home he didn't say a word, and neither did I. He hasn't even been over to see Ethan.

I walk down to the kitchen to grab a powdered donut when I hear knocking at the door. I walk over and find Nick standing outside with a box of chocolates, a shy smile spread across his face.

"Hey Bells, can I come in?" I nod, forcing a little smile on my face too. We walk to the kitchen and both take a seat at the island in silence.

We sit there for a few more minutes before I say something to break the awkward silence between us.

"Thank you for you know," I drag my sentence out. He turns to look at me, shaking his head. "No, you shouldn't be thanking me, if I didn't show up when I did, something could have happened." He sighs, looking at me deeply. I chew on my lip before responding. "Exactly! Something could have happened but nothing did thanks to you." I give him a little smile, which he returns.

He stays silent for a few more minutes before speaking again. "Do you think, is it okay if I hug you?" I go still, surprised at his request. But then nod my head.

I stand up when he does and he wraps me up in the most comforting hug I've had. I don't know why but whenever I'm around him everything seems to make sense. Everything is easy and he makes me calm. The hug feels like it could last forever but after a minute or so I pull away.

Nick grabs the chocolate and hands it to me. I look at him skeptically. "It's not for my mom right?" He chuckles, no it's for you. My eyes light up when I open the box to see ten milk chocolate chunks with caramel on the top.

I instantly plop one in Nick's hand and one in mine. Mm, I love food. Nick and I each have two more and then I place the box on the counter.

"I was wondering if you wanted to watch a movie? I'm free all day and have nothing to do. Besides, your brothers not here til later anyway." Nick suggests. Hmm that would be fun I guess. I wonder if this counts as one of our dates? I'm not going to ask though because I think if I know the answer, I won't like it.

I put on my best smile and walk over to the cupboard. "Of course, but we can't watch a movie without a lot of junk food." I don't think Nick notices that I notice but in the corner of my eye I see him staring at my lips. I'm probably wrong, yeah definitely.

~

Two hours later I'm crying on the couch during Belle and Prince Adam's wedding. My head is resting on Nick's shoulder. I tried to move earlier but he just pulled me closer to him. I guess this is normal friend behaviour for him.

Nick looks down at me with a frown. "Why are you crying Bells?" I look up at him, wiping a tear away from my cheek. "Honestly I don't know, I just love this movie."

We turn our attention back to the tv, but I don't make it to the end before falling asleep on Nick's shoulder.

~

A few hours later I jolt awake to a big bang in front of my face. Is someone breaking in?! I'm on full alert, sitting straight up on the couch. I look to where I was sleeping to see Nick, rubbing his eyes. Oops. Was I sleeping on top of Nick?

"Wake up sleepy heads!" Ethan shouts, banging two pots together. What a little shit. "Really Ethan? I was sleeping." He replies fast, "yeah, on my best friend." My cheeks turn scarlet red. I look over to Nick to see a smirk planted on his face.

"Okay Nick time to get up, you've had enough lovey dovey time with my sister." Nick rolls his eyes at Ethan. He gets up and then plants a kiss on my forehead. "See you later Bells."

I watch as he walks away and realize that I'm screwed. Really screwed. Nick isn't the person I thought he was. Instead, Nick is absolutely perfect.