Chapter 39 - The Day It All Changed

Zacznij od początku

But my mind refused to stop there, and my thoughts replayed the rest of the day like an onrushing tsunami I couldn't escape.

When I returned from the nearby Atlantean outpost in the early evening, Elatha and I were ready to strangle his brother, Elada. His constant complaints about his lack of a sex life and disrespectful comments about the females around us had a headache pounding in my temples. We'd spent the day mediating disputes and assisting with evaluating the outpost since it had been some time since Elatha had visited the remote location, off the usual routes for travel between the surface and lower oceans, and away from their major submerged cities. Between dealing with those and with Elada, I'd wanted nothing more than to sweep Mist off her feet and find a secluded waterfall to play in together.

My first glimpse of her after shaking off Elada's infuriating presence had lightened my chest, like I could finally breathe after being immersed in polluted waters.

"Mist!" I'd called out, my hand raised as I entered the dining cavern Scota used for meals. I hurried forward, eager to enclose her in my arms, but her expression as she turned to face me stopped me in my tracks.

Body rigid, she'd held her palm towards me, with fury snapping in her narrowed, tricoloured blue eyes. Her power swirled in an angry fog, curling and snapping around her like a biting winter storm that held everyone back.

My heart clenched, lungs frozen. I didn't know what to do, what to say, or why she was so angry with me. I finally opened my mouth, whether to apologize or ask what was wrong, I wasn't even sure.

She shook her head once.

"Mis—"

She snarled, "Stay away from me."

Then she left, striding out of the cavern for the nearby forest.

I sank on a nearby bench, shaking in the wake of the memories. Tears soaked my cheeks. Recalling the details had provided no more enlightenment than they had the day it had happened. I'd been too stunned and hurt to ask on our two-day trip back from Scota's and when we'd returned to the Summer Realm Court, Mist again refused to talk to me. If we hadn't been trying to save young Prince Aidan from that curse, perhaps I might have pressed until I found out.

Now, it seemed too late.

A muffled scream shattered the stillness of the garden.

I scrubbed the salty moisture from my eyes and stood. That hadn't sounded like a cry of pleasure.

"Hel—" Another muffled scream.

I spun, running toward the sound. It was farther from the palace and it took me a few minutes to navigate the dense purple hedges to find a break that led to the short wall and rocky outcrop outside the garden.

No one was there.

Flower petals were strewn over the black stone like colourful teardrops, with a cluster of flowers and stems scattered on the rocky outcrop.

I rushed over the wall, ignoring the buzz of the wards, and searched the boulders. Had someone fallen over the cliff's edge? As I walked closer to it, something drew my gaze up.

Contrasting against the red sky, a dark mass twisted and flailed. With my hand held up to block the sunlight, the silhouettes took a few seconds to resolve into recognizable shapes. I sucked in a harsh breath.

Anna!

Rising quickly in the air far above me, she struggled with two winged gorilla-looking demons. I'd never seen anything like them before.

"Oh shells!" Manipulating air alone was not one of my powers and I ruthlessly drew moisture from the garden and distant pools into thick clouds. I hurled a blast of moisture-laden air toward them as I formed the remainder under me and lifted off the ground.

The demons were buffeted by the turbulence but didn't waver as my cloud struck. Massive leathery wings beat powerfully as they drew away faster than I could pursue. Still, I tried another strike and another, then stopped.

They'd reached the edge of the floating sky island, heading out into the vast air currents.

I'd never keep up to them, not with so little moisture in this dry, cursed air. I glanced back at the palace in the distance...

The Dark Angel of the Four Winds would have the speed to catch them.