Chapter 1 • Feral Desires

Taking a deep, steadying breath, I try to calm my frayed nerves. It's been merely three days since I managed to escape the nightmarish grip of foster care. The constant fear of being hunted down by authorities still keeps my heart racing. I can only hope that they'll eventually give up; after all, I'm not a child anymore-I'm 17 years old and perfectly capable of taking care of myself.

The taxi driver glances at me through the rearview mirror, his brows knitting together in an expression of confusion as he takes in my flaring nostrils and the visible tension in my face. Whoops, maybe I'm wearing my emotions too openly. I let out a resigned sigh, shifting my gaze to the window as I watch the scenery pass by, finally catching sight of the modest little town that's meant to be my fresh start.

Having managed to secure the cabin, I pull my persuasive skills to convince the landlady to grant me some leeway in paying the rent. My situation is tight, money-wise, but I'm confident I'll find a way to make ends meet soon enough. The driver suddenly takes a sharp turn, and I feel my head jerk involuntarily. "Thanks for the whiplash" I mutter under my breath, suppressing the urge to give him a piece of my mind. It's unlikely he'll get a tip, but honestly, he's probably already cleaned me out of the little money I had left.

Finally, the cab comes to a halt in front of a decrepit cabin, the unmistakable odor of mold hanging heavy in the air. Stepping out, I stare at the run-down structure, I'm momentarily shaken from my thoughts as the car honks its horn. Turning around, I hand over my last remaining money to the driver, grumbling as I do so. Retrieving my bag from the mud puddle where he carelessly left it, I start making my way up the creaky wooden steps.

Just as I'm about to step onto the porch, one of the rotten boards gives way under my weight, causing my foot to plunge through the wood and leaving a painful gash on my skin. Landing awkwardly in the mud, I stifle a pained hiss before pulling myself back up with a grimace. Limping inside, I manage to open the door, its ominous creaking sending shivers down my spine.

Turning on the lights, I take in the room's details. The blue walls, adorned with patches of mold and mud, give the place a weathered, worn look, but it's not entirely uninviting. The far left corner is dedicated to a modest kitchenette with bare essentials. To the opposite corner, a small dining table is nestled, and just beside the entrance, a cozy living space occupies the room's lower right section. It's not luxurious by any means, but it's a space I can call my own.

Leaving my bags near the door, I ascend the stairs to the second floor, finding a trio of doors along the hallway. The first door on the right reveals a guest room, sparsely furnished but neat. On the left, I discover the master bedroom-a sanctuary for myself. The last door on the left leads to the bathroom, a snug space, housing a sink, toilet, and a bathtub. a small window sits at the end of the tub. Taking a moment to survey my surroundings, I spot a few travel-sized bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and a lone towel left behind by the cabin's previous occupant.

Determined to set aside my worries, I resolve to indulge in a well-deserved bath. I turn the faucet, letting the water flow into the tub. The steam rises, mingling with the cabin's musty air, creating an almost dreamlike atmosphere.

As the tub fills with warm water, I shed my worn clothes, folding them thoughtfully and placing them on the bathroom sink. With a deep breath, I lower myself into the water, the warmth embracing me like a long-lost friend. The initial shock of the heat gradually gives way to a soothing sensation, melting away the tension in my muscles.

I close my eyes, allowing my body to relax further as the water supports me. The scent of leftover shampoo and conditioner hangs in the air, a subtle reminder of the cabin's past occupants. Steam dances above the water's surface, and the room is filled with the gentle sound of flowing water, cocooning me in a sense of serenity.

Leaning back, I rest my head against the tub's edge, the water rising to my collarbones. In this tranquil moment, the worries of the past fade away, leaving only a profound sense of peace. The warm water seems to cleanse not just my body, but also my spirit, offering a fresh start in the midst of uncertainty.