𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈 - 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐈𝐑 𝐈 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐍

ALWAYS. Ieiri Shoko had said the word like she meant it, she'd said the word like she was speaking a vow, reciting the precious words of a long-forgotten spell that was so rare and fragile no one had ever dared to say it out loud. Mikazuki took a deep breath, air catching in her lungs while a swell of panic grew inside of her.

Truth to be told, the sorceress' question had been born of ire and despair, she baited her friend expecting to be let down. There was nothing cruel about it, this was simply how things had always been with her. People – Shoko, Satoru, Suguru... People made promises to her, but their words got lost in the whirlwind of life and, before Mikazuki knew it, the promise that was once said turned to a bitter lie.

It's what had happened with Satoru and what Mikazuki expected would happen now. She'd seen it unfold in front of her eyes plenty enough times to know. And yet, that's not what happened. Ieiri Shoko did not turn her back on her friend, she did not shy away from any of the savageries Mikazuki committed, and she did not look away from the carnage she planned to deliver.

The hatred, the pain, the sorrow... it all melted away in that instant, the silence that had previously reigned between the two women breaking to pieces when Shoko's flat heels clacked against the marble. The doctor cut the space between the two in an instant, hands flying to cup Mikazuki's face as her thumb swept over the woman's chapped lips.

"Gods, you're a mess." Shoko mumbled under her breath, slowly wiping the dried golden blood from Mikazuki's plump face.

The sorceress didn't move, she didn't blink. She remained there, rooted to the spot and completely unsure on what to do next. She expected to be left alone in the dark once again, but Shoko had proved this was no longer a lonely road, and whatever steps Mikazuki would take into the darkness, she was glad to follow. The doctor grunted, the annoyed sound escaping her throat as she stepped back and let her hands roam over Mikazuki's naked arms, the tattered remains of her dress falling apart with each stroke.

"This is terrible." Shoko spoke clearly now, her expression soft even as she picked up the pieces of fabric. "The party isn't over and there are plenty of people waiting to see you." The woman paused, leaning back to shoot Tajima a commanding look. "Go fetch a dress while I fix this. If Asahi-sama asks, tell him she is unwell and will re-join the festivities in a minute."

Mikazuki looked up, her sunset eyes meeting Shoko's warm chocolate gaze. Although no words left the woman's lips, Shoko was still able to discern the relief visible in her expression. The family Window nodded, abandoning the empty hallway and scurrying out and back into Kogane manor. As the heiress of a prominent clan, Mikazuki had plenty of dresses hanging in her closet, most of which had been collecting dust for the past decade. It probably wouldn't take much for the man to find something suitable for tonight, but changing out dresses was the least of the sorceress' troubles at the moment.

"Thank you." Mikazuki spoke in a curt voice while Shoko stood on the tip of her toes and wiped the dry blood away from her pale cheeks. "You don't need to do this. You can leave, if you want." She motioned to the door at the side.

Shoko let out a huff, hands pausing over the woman's porcelain skin before she moved back to fix the collar of her dress. There was nothing to be done about the gown, the midnight tulle was pulled from the seams and the glittering starlight diamonds had been ripped from the fabric. There was nothing left of it; nothing to fix. Shoko held her breath for a second, her expression turning soft.

"You're my always, you don't need to thank me." she said simply, hoping the word was enough to make Mikazuki understand.

It wasn't about the dress. It wasn't about this stupid birthday party, either. It was about another promise – one she made a long time ago, and one she let get carried away by the wind. The Kinzoku heiress hadn't said a word, it wasn't her job to make her feel better, and it certainly wasn't her job to play as Shoko's conscience. But the doctor hadn't forgotten, and the memory had been eating at her since the day it was first planted in her mind – since the day she broke their promise.

"I'm sorry."

Shoko's voice was quiet, the sound barely audible with the chatter that filtered in from the ballroom. The woman looked down, unable to meet Mikazuki's warm golden eyes while her hands fisted the fabric of the midnight dress.

"I should have done something," She continued, a solitary tear running down her cheek and carving a path like a river made of ice. "I told you I'd come back, I told you I'd get you out–" Her breath got caught in her chest, a sob wrecking through her lips. "I stood there, right in front of you, and let you believe I would fight for you. That I'd kill for you. That's what our always was supposed to mean. I was supposed to get you back, but I never even tried. I should have done something, said something. I was so fucking scared, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think..." Her hands shook, fingers trembling as Shoko held on to the collar of Mikazuki's neckline. "Mikazuki, you're my best friend. You're my best friend and I let them take you."

I let them take you. The words hit the Kinzoku like a punch to the gut, the reality of what had been said weighing heavily on her soul. The sorceress stood there, Shoko's shaking form pressed against her in a half-hug while sobs wrecked through her whole body like a hurricane. Somehow, this truth weighed more heavily than the confession made by Himari that same night. This betrayal was agony, and Mikazuki could feel every single word piercing her soul like a knife, the blade of truth slicing every inch of her skin.

The sorceress stood there, her body still despite Shoko's constant cries and her shaking form holding against hers. Mikazuki looked up, head turned towards the ceiling as a single tear ran down her face, the droplet collecting what was left of the blood and sweat before it disappeared into the neckline of her dress. This pain, this pure unadulterated agony... she didn't know where to put it, what to do with it. Do I take it? Do I just swallow it down like I've done with everything else? The sorceress swallowed past the lump on her throat, realization slowly dawning on her because, Mikazuki had a choice to make.

She could climb the hill of forgiveness, wear her armour to the constant battle that would be fought on a daily basis just so she could move on from this and act like nothing happened in the first place. Or, she could take the easy road, the road of revenge and retribution, the one that was already so familiar she could feel it burning in her veins.

And maybe it was the tears, or maybe it was the way Shoko continued to sob in her arms, or maybe it was the colour of the sky. Who the fuck knows. But, for the first time in her life, Mikazuki found herself turning towards the mountain and wanting to climb to the top. It was so high up there was nothing but quiet, the view mesmerizing.

Mikazuki closed her eyes, quickly wiping the tears away before she slowly put her arms around Shoko's small figure. The sorceress' hands tightened around the woman, the quiet swell of Cursed Energy enveloping them in a halo of golden light as the tendrils of Everlasting expanded in the room. Mikazuki wove her fingers into Shoko's, holding the woman's shaking hands with an unusual gentleness.

"I forgive you."

This time, she meant it.