𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗 - 𝐀 𝐋𝐄𝐆𝐀𝐂𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐑𝐔𝐈𝐍

GOJO SATORU LEANED AGAINST THE GIANT COLUMN, hand buried in his pockets as a bored expression settled on his face. It was almost midnight, yet the party was still expected to go on throughout the rest of the night and until early morning. The Kinzoku were very particular about the way the conducted their business, no matter how much it annoyed him. Satoru let out a tired huff, the sound somehow catching his friend's attention despite the loud chatter that still reigned in the room. Shoko narrowed her eyes, her expression calm even as she pursed her lips in disapproval.

The Ieiri girl was strange; unlike the rest of them, she lacked any sense of propriety, yet when faced with the golden wrath of the Kinzoku family, she folded easily. Satoru couldn't help but wonder what she'd seen to make her retreat back into herself, her usual bubbly personality completely snuffed out the moment she stepped into the bounds of the Kinzoku Estate. Satoru held her gaze, arms crossed in front of his chest as he regarded the girl with a careful eye. He was wearing a pair of dark shades over his sensitive eyes, his everblues hidden under the black glass which matched his similarly-coloured suit.

Shoko was also dressed appropriately for the occasion, her fine seventeen-year-old body covered by a beautiful designer gown, a set of golden sparkles trailing along the trim of the black silk. The dress was modest, yet the fine detailing was still revealing enough to make more than one pair of eyes wonder towards her. Unlike Mikazuki, who was still rather child-like in her figure, Shoko had grown into the body of a true woman, her full breasts and rosy skin a stark contrast against the other's flat chest and pale complexion. The two sorceresses were as different as day and night, yet they still shared a unique friendship.

Shoko caught Satoru's gaze, which had slowly wandered from her face to her chest, his line if sight carefully guided despite the large glasses he wore to hide his eyes. The woman huffed in annoyance, crossing her arms over her chest in an attempt to cover herself. Shoko was no fool, she'd known she was blessed from the moment Satoru's eyes had first strayed when she came from summer camp last year, but she was still Mikazuki's friend and wouldn't allow her friend to ogle her like a piece of fresh meat.

"Look at me like that again and I'll punch you in the face." Shoko commented casually, her tone seething before she leaned closer to him, eyes narrow and hard as she jammed her index finger into his chest. "You're my friend, but so is Mikazuki. Keep your eyes to yourself or I'll teach you exactly how awful I can be."

Satoru rolled his eyes, unamused by the girl's words. The two had been friends long before the Kinzoku twins came into the lives, but their relationship was somewhat turbulent. Shoko was good-natured, but she was also reckless, headstrong and overtly conflictive. And loyal, which is why she felt so offended whenever his boyish attitude made him stray from the path that had been carved for him. But, alas, the Ieiri girl was right.

Satoru was engaged to Mikazuki – had been since he was thirteen – and if his grandmother could see him now, she too would call him out for his lustful behaviour. Of course, Satoru didn't care much for Shoko, she was his friend, and just because he stole a glance here and there didn't mean anything in particular. She was hot, and Satoru had a pair of functioning eyes, that was all.

"Don't be a prude. You're hot, and I have eyes." Satoru smiled forcibly as he put his hands up in defeat. "Besides, how can I not steal a peek when you're dressed like that?"

Shoko scrunched her nose, a flicker of disgust crossing her features.

"You're a disgusting pig. And, by those same rules, shouldn't you be ogling your fiancé?" The girl jutted her chin towards the dancefloor, right over where Keisuke and Mikazuki were still standing, their figures standing out from the crowd even as they were swallowed down by it. "She's scantily dressed, too, but you've barely glanced her way this entire night." A wicked smile grazed her lips, a knowing look crossing her eyes as she stared at Satoru.

Satoru swallowed, suddenly feeling flushed. Shoko was his friend, but she could be very meddlesome when she wanted. His engagement to Mikazuki was his business, and he wasn't about to discuss such things when Shoko couldn't even build up the courage to tell Keisuke she found him attractive, although that was a whole other can of worms.

"My relationship with Mikazuki is none of your business." He called, his face still feeling hot as he attempted to divert the conversation elsewhere. "We should go eat something before all the entrées are gone. I think I saw someone carrying a tray of Gruyere and crab palmiers over there–"

"Do not change the subject, Gojo Satoru." Shoko warned, her tone a far cry from gentle as she pinned him in place with a single look. "Mikazuki is my friend, and I won't stand by as I watch you destroy her." The girl clutched her purse under her arm, keeping her tone low so Suguru wouldn't overhear any of it. "What's going on with the two of you, truly?"

The Gojo heir hesitated, all of the playfulness gone from his expression. He looked jittery, nervous, and as he sneaked a glance towards the crowd to make sure his grandmother wasn't anywhere near, he realized it was all rather stupid. Five months – that was how long he had before he and Mikazuki would be united in holy matrimony.

Before, it had seemed like an entire lifetime. Now, though? It didn't feel nearly enough. He was young – too young to throw his entire life away just because Sene had seen it fit to do so. Satoru never wanted to marry. Not Mikazuki, not anyone. And yet, here he was, less than five months away from his wedding.

"I–" He began, unsure of what his next words were going to be, a confused expression flickering in his face.

The boy straightened his spine, smoothing down the lapels of his shirt before he looked down at Shoko. He was taller than her, had been for a while, but there was nothing gentle about the way she stood under him. He might be bigger than her, but she was the one currently in control. It was impressive. the way in which she could make someone feel so small with a single glance. There was power in her. Still, Satoru shook his head, clearing his thoughts before he finally spoke again.

"This isn't something I can discuss with you." He let out through gritted teeth. "You can grovel all you want, but you don't get to pick my brain apart on this one."

"You're an asshole." Shoko cut in, her voice loud enough to catch the attention of a couple of bystanders, not that she cared. "You've got a good thing going and, as for marriage, there are plenty of people that would consider themselves lucky to have her." She puffed her cheeks, a wave of protectiveness overcoming her. "Mizuki is a good girl; she deserves someone who loves her. Really loves her." Shoko spoke quietly, her auburn eyes turning glassy. "You're just going to play games with her heart. But, be warned..." The girl stepped forward; her expression oddly cold for someone so young. "...break her heart and hope to die, because if you don't, I'll break you."

And, with that, a warning was issued. A line was drawn in the sand, one Gojo Satoru wouldn't cross until ten years later.