𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈 - 𝐀 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐖

DANCING WITH MIKAZUKI CAME TO HIM AS NATURAL AS BREATHING. Kinzoku Keisuke didn't know how to express it into words, not when he was so incredibly aware of his sister's slender hand in his, not when he could feel every heartbeat of hers like it was his own. They fit perfectly together; like two pieces of a whole that had been made to complete one another, like two long lost stars reuniting to become a black hole of pure raw power.

Keisuke could feel it in his gut, his own magic flourishing inside of him like a tidal wave of unstoppable energy. He could feel it inside of Mikazuki, too. She was chaos, the power inside her soul bleeding out through her pores and enveloping her in a beautiful golden mist. She was glowing, everything inside of her just as beautiful as what laid on the outside. There was something glorious about her, otherworldly.

It reminded Keisuke of an old tale, a legend which had turned to myth after hundreds of years buried its history. He'd seen the mural painted inside of the family chapel countless times, committing every single painted stone and every ridge and crack to his memory.

The Kinzoku prided themselves in their history, wearing it as proudly as they did the gold in their veins. Asahi had called it a gift. His grandmother, a blessing. The truth, however, couldn't be described with such a magnificent word, not when it was steeped in a legacy of bloodshed and deception.

Everything about the Kinzoku was a lie, including him. And her.

Keisuke squeezed his sister's hand, the weight of it nearly as heavy as the legacy he carried on his shoulders. Kei never wanted to be the heir, he never wanted to be burdened by the truths the clan hid in the shadows, the terrible history that haunted him in his sleep.

And yet, despite everything, he was still unwilling to relinquish the position. The line of succession was clear and, as the next able-bodied Kinzoku heir, Mikazuki was next. No matter how much he loathed his title, he couldn't bear himself to let go, not when he knew the fate that would await his twin.

Still, Keisuke wasn't naïve enough to think he was the golden boy. He might be the heir and Asahi's favourite, but it was Mikazuki who truly embodied everything the Kinzoku had ever claimed to be. She wasn't ready – not yet, when she was still so young and innocent –, but she would be, one day. Keisuke liked to believe he would be able to see it, but he was not foolish enough to think he'd live long enough for that.

Their fate had been sealed long ago, and from the moment she was born – seventeen whole minutes after him – their destiny had been written in stone.

The young Kinzoku heir shook his head, refusing to lose himself to these thoughts and opting to focus on the moment instead. That's what he'd told her, hadn't he? Don't let them take this moment from us. That's what he said. Did he mean it? It didn't matter. None of it did, not when he could see a small smile forming on Mikazuki's face. Suddenly, the hushed whispers and rumours of the crowd disappeared and all he could see was that joyful expression, the glow of his sister spreading like contagion. She truly was glorious.

Mikazuki titled her head, catching her brother's stare. Her steps didn't falter, still following the rhythm of the classical music while Keisuke held her waist with one hand, the other still intertwined with hers.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, a small waiver in her tone.

Mikazuki didn't want to tell him, but her features betrayed her anyway. Even now, after everything that had happened, there was still a sliver of doubt. He could see it perfectly, all of her emotions and thoughts swimming in her gaze, all of it out in the open for him to read.