𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈 - 𝐀 𝐃𝐘𝐍𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐒

THE GILDED WOODEN DOORS OPENED FORWARD, a crack of light filtering in through the small opening as Kinzoku Asahi pushed his children forward. Keisuke swallowed past the lump on his throat, his father's arm still draped around his shoulders in a mildly threatening way.

He could feel the weight of his magic, Asahi's Everlasting sneaking in around him, the magic pulsating in the air as much of a warning as his cold hands digging into Kei's shoulders. But the Kinzoku heir didn't have to dwell on the sickening feeling that settled at the pit of his stomach, not when he was far too concerned with the glittering ballroom that came into full view with each step.

The King of Sorcerers had planned every second of this ball, every painstakingly small detail. Although Asahi's talents were rooted in murder and bloodshed, there was also a part of him that thrived in scheming. He was a natural born leader, all of his moves across the chessboard extremely well calculated. Asahi didn't leave anything to chance – not now, and not ever. Maybe this was why Keisuke followed wordlessly, his father's embrace suffocating even as they all came to a halt at the edge of the balcony.

Asahi didn't move, his silence another weapon he wielded expertly as he held on to his heirs. While Mikazuki stood on his left flank, Keisuke remained calm on the right. This was the entrance the man had been planning for months and every single move was deliberate and purposeful.

Hide hung a couple of steps back, as was tradition for the non-gold-blood spouse. She was still glorious enough to garner everyone's attention, though, as her emerald gaze was matched by a similarly coloured gown, gold foil intertwined with the green to represent her union to the golden clan.

Keisuke pulled his lips into a tight line, carefully leaning in so he could steal a glance at his sister. Mikazuki caught his stare, forcing a smile in an attempt to reassure her brother before Asahi noticed, fingers digging into her shoulder and forcing the girl to back down, a hiss of pain escaping from her lips. Keisuke balled his hands into fists, a renewed anger bubbling in his chest as he watched his sister drown under Asahi's command, his hold over her absolute.

Kinzoku Asahi was the first to speak, his booming voice catching the attention of everyone present in the ballroom. He was a master manipulator, a skill which Keisuke was hoping to hone one day. But, even then, he would never be able to command everyone's attention like his father did.

There was something definite about the way everyone's focus immediately shifted, a regal kind of aura that surrounded the man like a halo of divine proportions. Asahi was a sorcerer, but he was also a king and, looking at him right now, Kei could not deny the royal blood that ran through his veins.

"Thank you all for coming to celebrate this joyous night." Asahi smiled proudly, a cunning smile playing on his lips as his hold tightened around his children's shoulder, a wave of commandeering gold keeping them rooted to their spot while he continued his rehearsed speech. "Tonight marks the coming of a new era, a new beginning for Jujutsu." He tilted his glass towards the crowd, his words calculated. "It is my honour to present to you the shamans that will spearhead this new age of sorcery."

Keisuke snarled, the sound dying in his throat when he felt his father yanking him forward. It didn't matter that neither he or Mikazuki had ever asked for this, it didn't matter that he had no intention of inheriting his father's legacy of horrors or take his place at The Magistrate once the time came. All that mattered was what Asahi wanted, and right now he wanted to put on a show for the people.

Fine, I'll dance to your tune. I'll be your puppet for the show. Keisuke thought bitterly, quickly intertwining his fingers with his sisters before rising their joined hands in the air. But don't come crying to me when the puppets use those same strings you wield to control them to strangle you.

Kei put on a fake smile, Mikazuki's hand feeling small in his as he addressed the crowd, a shadow growing in his golden gaze. There was a storm brewing in those eyes of his, one Asahi might not be able to contain anymore.

Still, the King of Sorcerers ignored the chill running up his spine, stepping back into the shadows as he pushed his most precious creations into the spotlight.

"I present to you: Kinzoku E. Keisuke and Kinzoku Mikazuki; my legacy."

Cheers erupted in the crowd, yet all Keisuke could hear were the silent screams his father's legacy had caused. The Kinzoku heir pushed past the feeling, drowning his own senses with a glass of champagne as he began descending down the staircase and into the dancefloor.

His hand was still joined with Mikazuki, her small slender fingers holding on to his as he tugged on them, leading her to the centre of the ballroom so they could continue the tradition. Mikazuki was silent, a nervous look in her eyes while she positioned herself in front of her twin.

The first dance had been a tradition of the Kinzoku for as long as history could remember, and tonight was no different. Twin souls dancing under the moonlight, two bodies who shared a single essence; that was the true legacy of the Kinzoku.

Keisuke took a deep breath, standing in front of his sister before holding his hand out in invitation. He could see the anxiety in her gaze as she fidgeted with the hem of her dress, beads of sweat building up in her forehead.

"You don't need to be nervous, dove" Keisuke tried as he made an effort to keep his tone level. "Come on, we've done this a hundred times before." He nodded towards the crowd.

Keisuke wasn't lying. This wasn't the first time they danced like this – as a matter of fact, the twins had done this countless time before, once a year on their birthday. That was what tradition demanded, and as the heirs of the clan, it was their duty to honour them. This time felt different, though. Mikazuki balled her hands into fists, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. This time was different, because instead of all eyes being on Keisuke as they should, they were on her.

"Everyone is looking at me." Mikazuki stated matter-of-factly, her voice shaking from contained fear. "That's not how this is supposed to work; you're the heir, they should be looking at you!" she stressed, her tone laced with panic.

Keisuke looked at his sister, a sigh escaping his lips as a big swell of pity grew in his chest. Mikazuki was right, of course, but tonight was no ordinary night. Kei sneaked a glance at the crowd, wishing their stares were that of admiration of wonder at the beautify of the heiress, but that's not what he saw in their eyes.

Instead, he saw pure unadulterated fear, the kind that couldn't be ignored, the kind that spread and festered and grew in the shadows. It was how people used to look Asahi four years ago, after the Edamura massacre. But this was his sister, and something about their looks didn't feel fair. It wasn't fair at all.

"They're looking at you. So what? Let them stare, let them be afraid. We know the truth, and that's the only thing that matters." Keisuke called, hoping the finality of his tone would be enough to bring Mikazuki out of her shell.

"Kei..." she began, unsure.

"No. I mean it, dove." Keisuke took her hand in his, determination written all over his features. "They can stare all they want, but they don't get to take this moment from us."

There was something true about the way he spoke, a glimmer in his eyes that made Mikazuki immediately at ease. Then again, Keisuke was the only one capable of instilling that sense of calmness in her soul, he was the only person who knew what buttons to push, what words to speak.

Mikazuki liked to believe it was because they were twins, but the truth was somewhat darker. It wasn't because they shared the same womb or because they shared the same childhood, it was because they shared the same soul.

Keisuke and Mikazuki. Mikazuki and Keisuke. Either way, it didn't matter, for they were one and the same.

"Dance with me, dove."

And they did.