𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐕 - 𝐀 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐃𝐎𝐌 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐄

KINZOKU MIKAZUKI SIGHED, angling herself in front of the mirror so she could gaze at the expensive bespoke gown from a different perspective. The dress was beautiful and fit her perfectly, a cape of black lace and thread hanging from her shoulders with detailed golden stars that filled the midnight expanse of fabric. At the front, a bodice made of black fabric and golden hard lines modelled after renaissance paintings lay under her breasts, the hard piece of it right over her sternum while it slowly broke down into a dark veil that descended all the way down to the floor.

The dress wasn't modest, yet it wasn't overtly revealing either and, although the neckline plunged low between her breasts and down her midsection which was mirrored on the back as well, it was still distinguished enough not to cause an uproar.

She wasn't a child anymore and as a young woman of age, it was expected that men would gaze at her with lust in their eyes, now. Mikazuki was thin and pale, her breasts small enough that she could walk braless most days. Her dark hair had been let down her back, the black curls cascading over the backless design while a beautiful crown with onyx stones sat atop her head braided into some stray strands. There was something oddly regal about her attire, but nothing ostentatious enough to upstage the heir.

As if on cue, Kinzoku Keisuke stepped into the room, a certain pep to his step as he glided between the ocean of servants and maids that pullulated around his dear sister. He looked handsome tonight, and as Mikazuki stared at their joint reflexion in the mirror, she couldn't help but smile. Keisuke was dashing next to her, his dark hair slicked back while he wore a suit that perfectly matched hers.

His was tuned down a bit, as too many details on a man's suit could be seen as too feminine for The Magistrate's taste – of course, he was still breath-taking. The fact he hadn't managed to find a match was a complete mystery, especially with that honey-eyed look of his.

"Hello, dove." Keisuke greeted amicably as he adjusted the lapels of his suit.

He turned to the servants, dismissing them with a single waive in a very Kinzoku manner, a smile playing on his lips as he watched them scatter out. He wore entitlement almost as well as he did his suit. Mikazuki smiled softly, leaning against his side as her gaze remained focused on their reflection.

The young Kinzoku girl had looked ravishing on her own, but standing beside her brother made her glow in a specific way that couldn't be put into words. Maybe it was the gold in her veins, or maybe that's just how happiness looked on her. Either way, they looked perfect together. Two parts of a whole, made separately just so they could come together like this.

"Hello, caveman." Mikazuki greeted back when Keisuke ruffled her hair, the carefully braided strands falling apart under his large hands "You're going to get in trouble for that!" She called, a certain amount of mirth in her tone even as the diadem fell from her head, the delicate piece falling right into her brother's hands.

Keisuke whistled, picking up the small crown and placing it atop his head, flattening his dark curls.

"Me? I'm the heir, you're the one who's going to get get, sister!"

Mikazuki reached out with her hand, standing on her tiptoes in an attempt to get the piece back. Keisuke laughed, plucking the thing off his head and holding it out of his sister's reach. Despite the fact they shared a womb and were very similar in their built, Keisuke had suffered a growth spurt in the latest months, making him tower over Mikazuki while he smiled wickedly, his eyes filled with amusement as he watched her struggle.

"You're such an asshole! Give it back!"

Keisuke tilted his head, slowly lowering the crown until he gently placed it back on her head. Mikazuki huffed out an annoyed sound, fixing the crocked diadem while she glared at him, yet all of her exasperation melted away from her expression when she noticed his stare. Keisuke was smiling softly now, his tall frame leaning against the mirror while he watched her, real enjoyment on his usually cold eyes. Things had been hard for the both of them lately.

The twins had been working hard trying to earn the label of special-grade, yet despite meeting the requirements, it appeared The Magistrate had been stone-walling their efforts. Mikazuki had no idea why, but when she looked at her twin, she could see a heavy weight hiding behind those golden eyes of his, a whole world of secrets incapsulated in his stare. Keisuke watched his sister, hoping his expression was still unreadable despite sharing the same features. He could sense her watching him, the tip of her Everlasting sneaking through his defences before he pulled it back and away from his mind.

Some secrets are never meant to be revealed, Dove. Some truths should never be spoken.

Keisuke's expression didn't change, but Mikazuki was still able to catch a flicker of something terribly familiar in his eyes. Instead of dwelling on it, though, the older Kinzoku turned his wrist, golden gaze sweeping over the time before he pulled back and frowned. Mikazuki pulled her lips into a tight line, observing her brother carefully as her heart shuddered. He looked like Asahi when he was like this; withdrawn, shoulders stiff and rigid like he was carrying the weight of the world on his back. Maybe he is.

"It's almost midnight. We should get going." He announced, his tone cold and a world's away from his previous mood.

Mikazuki's gaze fell back on the mirror, yet the reflection wasn't the same. All the happiness, all the good had vanished from it, drowned by the cold silver surface like the wild waves of the ocean did vessels. It was cold, now, as dead and lifeless as Keisuke's tone. The sorceress' shoulders fell, her expression coming soon after. Keisuke's breath got caught in his lungs, a new cold feeling washing over him as he watched his sister. It was like watching her heart break into pieces, shattering into a million fragments.

"I'm not sure I can do this." Mikazuki mumbled, allowing the anxious feeling from before to sweep her away like a hurricane.

The sorceress wasn't even sure what this meant. Was it the party? Or maybe the countless secrets Keisuke kept from her at the elders' request? Was it fear, or was it guilt? Keisuke didn't waste another breath, silently crossing the room in big strides until he was right behind her. His hands fell over her shoulders, hands digging into the skin as he tried to reassure her in the only way he knew how.

"You break my heart, dove." Keisuke commented, his voice so low Mikazuki could barely hear it despite the fact he was less than two steps away from her.

Keisuke squeezed her shoulders again, the warm of his hands spreading across her skin like a welcoming blanket. This was the brother she knew, the twin who'd fought her to come out first, the boy who caught her when she jumped from an apple tree. And maybe he was right, maybe she could do this. As long as he was by her side.

"Come on, you look beautiful tonight." Kei continued, twirling one of Mikazuki's stray locks between his fingers before he let it go, watching as it bounced against her temple. "I'm sure you'll catch someone's eye tonight."

Mikazuki ducked her head, yet the gesture wasn't fast enough to keep her twin from seeing the crimson blush creeping up her cheeks.

"And by someone, I mean Gojo Satoru, of course." He commented cheekily, his expression filling with amusement one more time.

Oh, what she would give to see that smile one more time. Mikazuki laughed, smacking her brother before she turned to stare at him, her face flushed from the embarrassment. She looked adorable in that moment, a stark contrast to her usual appearance, which was a lot more proper and refined. She looked real, like this.

"Don't tease me! This is just a crush; it will go away on its own." The sorceress said quickly, the words leaving her in a rush. "Besides, you're one to talk. I've seen you ogle Shoko for weeks now."

Kei put his hands up, feigning innocence.

"It's not my fault. That woman is built like a freaking porn star. I can't help myself."

"Kei, you're disgusting!"

Kei! A twenty-eight-year-old Mikazuki screamed from the depths of her memories, hoping her voice would reach her younger self almost a decade ago, before everything went to shit. I love you.