Chapter 58 - Duty Or Desire, That Is The Question

Start from the beginning

Why was it still so unbelievable for Marinette then?

Frankly, throughout the years, as she was fighting against more and more akumas with Chat Noir, they became better after every battle while figuring out how to use the powers each suite gave them properly.

But there was one thing Ladybug could never use, nor even feel its existence in her veins.

Her magic.

Even though Tikki had reminded her many times that a lot of time and practice was required for her powers to come to the surface, she couldn't take any steps closer to this case even years later.

The problem wasn't with her not trying it before. As a matter of fact, at the beginning, her mind was only focused on reaching her powers and nothing else.

But as time had passed and she had absolutely no achievement, Mari started to give up trying.

But now, the circumstances had changed and she had new reasons to try it again. New reasons she mustn't ignore, her Kingdom and the people she had pledged her loyalty long time before.

Because as Mari recalled what Tikki had said about her powers, and reminisced what she had read in her mother's notes, which led her to one conclusion.

If what Tikki had stated was really true, that both the Ladybug and her mother's magic got bestowed upon her then there was a chance of her using these powers to purify the Kingdom from this infection.

"I know from Mum's diary that her power could heal even unknown illnesses which means.." she pondered, "..that there's a possibility that this magic can heal the affected areas."

Leaning on the table, she nibbled on her lip as her thoughts feverishly buzzed in her mind like a beehive on the first day of spring. "However, in order to accomplish that, I ought to gain full control over my powers. But how should I do..."

".. and what do you think, Mari?" Alya's voice startled the Princess, pulling her back to reality in an instant.

"Umm.. About what?" she uttered, her confused gaze making it obvious to everyone that she wasn't listening at all.

"Are you here with us?" Alya snickered, noticing immediately when Marinette zoned out.

"Yes, sorry I just..." Mari twiddled her fingers, embarrassed of getting caught.

"Is everything alright?" the Prince leaned closer to her, whispering into her ears that sent shivers down her spine.

Looking into his eyes - that reflected genuine concern -, made her blush instantly. Shifting her eyes away from his intense gaze, she rushed to explain, "Yes, yes of course! Everything is alright.. I just.. I just couldn't focus! Because of.. Because of your.. Eerr I mean, MY hair!" the Princess scrambled upon her words.

Just as she said, without hesitation, she pulled the pink ribbon out of her hair - her raven blue locks like a blanket fell upon her shoulders in the process. A second later, Mari was already gathering her hair with her fingers and tying them into a ponytail.

"That's better!" she let out a sigh, in an attempt to gain both her composure and focus back - putting aside her concerns regarding her superhero self for now -, and forced a smile on her face.

Her subtle smile soon vanished when she took a glance in the Prince's direction only to see him gawking at her with eyes wide open - exactly as if he had seen a ghost.

"Umm, what is it?" Marinette asked concerned, touching her hair immediately. "Does it.. look bad?"

"What?" Félix flinched, only realizing now that he was staring at her conspicuously. "No, not at all! You look pretty..." he coughed, his cheeks flushed as he added quietly, "You just.. reminded me of someone."