Chapter 29 - Melody Of Despair

A few minutes earlier

"Plagg, claws out!" Félix said and as soon as the transformation happened, he opened the window and jumped out of it.

A moment later, the door opened and a frustrated Marinette entered the room.

Looking through their suite, for her biggest surprise - and relief - she was alone.

"Hmm, strange. Looks like Félix isn't here. " she let out an exhausted sigh and walking to her desk, she took off her cape. "Strange. I thought he would have already been here. Not that I mind that he's elsewhere!" she declared immediately when Tikki popped up from her cape.

"At least, I don't have to hide anymore!" the little creature said relieved, and stretched her little arms.

"Exactly!" Marinette smiled at her kwami but a moment later all of her remained joy vanished as she recalled the conversation between her and her father. Taking off her shoes - she took a deep breath and collapsed on her bed. It didn't take a minute of silence until she exclaimed frustratedly.

"I can't believe him, Tikki! Here I thought that finally, I can make a change! That he would finally see me as the future ruler of France and let me have a say in our kingdom's politics ... but I was wrong," she forced back her tears as she inhaled, "as always."

Tikki - looking at her owner concerned - flew next to her.

"Marinette, don't say that! I'm sure he.."

"No, Tikki! You heard him!" the princess interjected the kwami, "No matter how hard I try, he will always treat me this way! He only sees me as some doll or a trophy that he can show to the world but nothing more. Not as his daughter nor even as the next queen after my mother." she declared and hid her face under a pillow.

Tikki landed next to Mari and put her tiny palms on her hand. She really wanted to comfort the princess but she had no idea what to say.

Marinette had never had an easy time with talking to her father but nowadays she has been handling it worse and worse. Mari was sure that in time - and with her reaching the appropriate age and even getting married - Gabriel would treat her differently and even listen to her suggestions about the Kingdom.

There were times when Gabriel had talked about Marinette taking the throne, which made her truly believe that her father had faith in her and could see the potential ruler in his daughter.

Still, from time to time, he had always said or done something that meant the exact opposite. Just like today's conversation when he was once again condescending with Marinette and didn't hear her out.

"How can I make changes when even my own father doesn't believe in me, Tikki?" Marinette cried. "I want to help our people, I really do! And I want to solve this problem with the plants! But.. It seems like I'm still not enough."

"Marinette, don't say that!" Tikki pulled away the pillow from her to see her owner's face. "I know for sure that you're the bravest and the most generous person I've ever met! If someone could find a solution to this situation, then it's you!"

"But how Tikki? How can I do it if no one supports me? If no one is willing to give me a chance to prove that I'm capable of ruling!" the princess sat up and glanced at her kwami.