Chapter 5

After a brief exchange, Jordan's demeanor shifted, and with a swift motion, he retrieved a bundle of old papers from his cupboard.

The faded documents seemed to carry the weight of forgotten tales as he spread them out on the desk.

Walter's eyes flickered with intrigue as he surveyed the papers. "What's all this?" he asked, his voice filled with curiosity.

Jordan's expression grew somber, his gaze fixed on the papers as if they held a profound truth. "These are articles, reports, and accounts of those who set out to find the island we're talking about," he explained, his voice tinged with a mixture of caution and seriousness.

Walter's heart skipped a beat as the significance of his words sunk in. This island, the mysterious island, had a darker side that we had yet to uncover. "Cursedell?" he repeated, his voice soft with a sense of foreboding.

Jordan's eyes held a haunted look as he nodded. "Yes, that's what it's called—Cursedell.

And for good reason. The reports in these documents tell tales of missing people, adventurers who dared to explore the route to the island and never returned."

Walter's brows furrowed, his concern evident. "Missing people? What happened to them?"

Jordan's voice was heavy with the weight of knowledge. "No one knows for sure, but the common thread is that they set out to explore the island, and they vanished without a trace.
The reports are filled with stories of ships found adrift, crews gone without a trace, and eerie disappearances."

As the weight of Jordan's words settled over him, his expression grew contemplative.

His mind seemed to be working overtime, piecing together the information he had just learned with the responsibilities he carried.

His brow furrowed as if deep in thought, and he suddenly straightened, a determined look in his eyes. "Jordan," he said, his voice measured and resolute, "I have a proposition."

Jordan's gaze shifted from the old papers to Walter, curiosity sparking anew. "A proposition? What do you have in mind?"

Walter took a steadying breath, his gaze unwavering. "You know, sometimes in life, certain opportunities come along that you can't ignore.
They might carry risks, but they also hold the potential for something bigger. And right now, I'm at a crossroads."

Walter continued, addressing Jordan directly. "I recently had a conversation with my boss, and he made it clear that if I didn't cover something substantial, I could lose my job. And as much as I love journalism, I can't afford to let it go."

Jordan's expression softened, his understanding evident. "I see where you're coming from, Walter."

Walter nodded, his determination unyielding. "So, here's my proposition, Jordan. Take as much money as you need. But in exchange, take me and Sasha with you to Cursedell. I want to cover this story, not just for my job, but because it's an opportunity to uncover something truly significant."

Jordan's eyes held a mixture of respect and camaraderie as he regarded Walter. "You're willing to take that risk?"

Walter's smile was laced with determination. "Life's about taking risks, isn't it? And this is a risk I'm willing to take. I believe in this story, and I believe that together, we can bring it to light."

Jordan's response was measured, a reflection of the reality he understood all too well. "Not together, but you alone," he stated firmly, his gaze steady as he addressed Walter.

"I can't take risks with my crew and their lives. This journey is uncharted and dangerous, and I can't jeopardize their safety."

Walter's expression shifted, a mixture of understanding and determination crossing his features. "I get it, Jordan. I understand the responsibility you have towards your crew. Their safety comes first."

Jordan's face softened, a smile tugging at his lips. "Very well then. Here's the plan. I'll take you to the location of Cursedell. But I won't go onto the island itself. It's too dangerous, and I won't risk the safety of my crew."

Walter nodded, his agreement evident. "Understood, Jordan. I'll take a small boat and proceed to the island. I'll cover what needs to be covered and then return."

Jordan's expression was a mix of relief and determination. "That's the plan. We'll ensure you're equipped with everything you need to document the story without putting yourself in undue danger."

With the plan in place and the agreement made, a sense of purpose settled over Walter and Jordan.

They exchanged a final nod, a silent acknowledgment of their shared understanding. As they parted ways, each went about their preparations for the journey ahead.