xxi. protection

***

sophadiaz: so candid x

***

Pedri knew he should have stayed the moment he left that car. He couldn't get that day out of his head. He could not get her out of his head.

Nor could he get out the fact that he had been an absolute fucking jerk to her, either.

Like Sophia had let him forget it.

He knows it sounds desperate, but he does still request her for Mario Kart tournaments.

And she doesn't accept.

He likes her instagram pictures.

She doesn't interact back.

Was she not replying because she was hurt or was it because she no longer wanted to be with him?

"Alright, taxi, you ready?"

A flick at his forehead accompanying the voice made Pedri lift his head from his phone. Still sitting in the changing rooms after doing rehab for the injury he picked up against Benfica in thr Champions League, duffle bag beside him, Pedri was faced with the menacing grin of young Pablo Gavi.

"Watch your tone, chico," Pedri retorts. "Might have to take those taxi privileges away."

"You wouldn't leave me stranded with no way."

"Bold of you to assume."

Pablo furrows his eyebrows at Pedri. He peeks over the older boy's phone.

"Aha. So it's her you were frowning over," Pablo smirks. "

"Who was Pedriño frowning over this time?" A voice enters the room, the familiar face of Ronald Araùjo following, shaking Pedri and Pablo's hands as he passed them.

"The same girl."

"Aw, Sophia?" It was Ansu this time. He, too, was nursing an injury in rehab, taking his bag from his locker beside Ronald's. "How's she been?"

Pedri looks up, "I couldn't tell you."

"Damn. You two still aren't talking?"

"Oh, I'm talking. She's just not responding."

"Hence the frowning," says Pablo.

"She'll come around eventually," Ansu swings his bag over his shoulder, ruffling Pedri's hair on his saunter towards the door, getting shoved out the way when he attempted to ruffle that of Pablo's. Hovering in the doorway, he reminds Pedri, "She does like you. Still, because that's not something someone can get over like that. She's just pissed off at you. You just need to show her you're not that asshole you were that night."

Pedri nods, and Ansu nods in return. He waves goodbye to the changing rooms.

Pedri sighs. "How do I show her I'm not an asshole?"