Not trusting myself to speak, I only let out a nod.

With that, he takes hold of my hand, lacing my fingers with his, and a feeling of warmth instantly courses through my body.

It's almost like a warmth I'd never known, and a warmth I don't want to let go.

Hand in hand, we make our way down the lobby and toward one of the conference rooms where the gala is taking place.

Inside the venue, light classical jazz music fills the air, creating a relaxing and cozy atmosphere. At least thirty tables are set up, each with stunning floral arrangements in various pastel colors. Different shades of blue and purple lighting illuminate the room, whilst a large stage is set up at the front. Businesspeople in fancy formal attire are talking and laughing, and among the buzz and chatter, servers wearing tuxedos roam the room, holding trays of champagne glasses.

"Wow, this is really nice," I remark.

"There's someone I'd like you to meet," Jackson says, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

"Who?" I ask, but he doesn't answer. Instead, he shoots me another smile and begins to lead the way ahead, his grip on my hand tightening.

Part of me wants to prod further, but another part of me is happy to be led by him. And so, I allow myself to savor the feeling of curiosity as he guides me through the crowd.

We stop at an area near the stage, and from behind, I see a woman on her phone, her long blonde hair pulled into a neat bun. She's wearing an emerald green long-sleeve dress and even with her back toward me, her whole demeanor exudes elegance, charisma, and grace.

There's also something quite familiar about her, even though I'm pretty sure I've never met her before.

Hang on. Could it be...?

Jackson clears his throat and then in a smooth voice says, "Good evening Ms. Sparkes, apologies to interrupt."

The woman turns around, a warm smile forming on her face. My mouth drops wide open but no words come out. No way.

"Isabelle, is it?" she briskly says, extending a hand. "Pleasure to meet you. I'm Elizabeth Sparkes."

"Oh my god, I love you—I mean, it's nice to meet you," I squeak and immediately cringe at how embarrassing I sound. My palms are all sweaty but I manage to move my hand and shake hers. Her grip is firm and warm. "Thank you so much, Elizabeth. It's great to see you in the flesh, I mean, er, in person."

Elizabeth lets out a friendly laugh. "You can call me Liz."

Her gaze shifts to Jackson, and I watch as he acknowledges her with a polite smile.

"Jackson's told me all about you," Liz then says.

I'd been so starstruck at seeing Liz that it only hits me now that this is the surprise Jackson had been keeping from me during our flight. He had somehow managed to get into contact with the Elizabeth Sparkes and told her about me.

I slowly turn to glance at him, and he gives me a reassuring smile.

"Our office does receive quite a few requests on the daily but Jackson was very persistent," Liz adds with a wink. "I'd say you've definitely found yourself a keeper."

I sneak another look at Jackson, feeling a whirlwind of emotions swirl through my body. I'm the one who's supposed to be here supporting him tonight, and yet, he's gone above and beyond to do something for me once again.

"Yeah," I swallow. "He's pretty amazing."

"He was very persuasive and managed to convince me to fly down to Washington for tonight's gala," Liz chuckles.