19. Lesson Learned

My friend date with Adam was the only thing I had focused on for the past couple of days.

I had avoided him, worried I gave off the wrong impression, or maybe he avoided me too, as I never saw him trying to talk to me either.

Julie and I were currently in Home Economics, sewing quilt squares for a grade.

Dumb idea, if you ask me.

"I still don't see why you have to avoid him." She sighed, pulling her thread through the yellow cloth.

"Because, I can't just tell him I like him!" I huffed, pricking my finger in the process.

"Careful. And why not? Adam's a reasonable guy." She chuckled, finishing her square.

"Because he'd laugh at me. And then I'd have to kill him." I frowned, sewing the edges of the square.

"I don't condone violence, unless it involves me." Julie gave me a goofy smile, putting another square in her pile.

In the time it had taken Julie to finished 10 squares, I had finished 4, pricked my fingers a dozen times, and had to re-thread my needle, twice.

"How are you so good at this! I keep poking my freaking fingers!" I sighed, exasperated and frustrated.

"I'm not sure. I just kinda focus my hands and my fingers do the rest, kinda like when I'm skating and playing hockey." She shrugged, finishing her eleventh square.

"That makes perfect sense and no sense at the same time." I laughed.

"Thank you. That's one of my many talents." She gave a small bow.

I smiled at her silliness. Julie Audrey Gaffney was my absolute best friend, no questions asked. If I needed a body buried, she'd show up with a shovel and a pack of skittles.

"I adore your many talents. They make you so much cooler." I shook my head, finally managing to make a perfect square.

"Hey! I'm at peak coolness. No one even comes close to my cool scale. Except.." She droned off, her eyes going to the window.

Varsity was outside, tossing a football around, clearly laughing and happy.

"Except?" I shook her shoulder, pressing for more.

"No one. Nevermind." She turned away from the window, face red.

Julie had a crush. And he was on the Varsity team.

"Juuuuullllieeeee, tell me." I grinned, nudging her.

"Nooooo, let's go back to you and Adam." She shook her head.

"Ugh, you're no fun." I stuck my tongue out at her, looking back out the window.

I saw the guys talking, and Cole's gaze turned to me, he winked, and cocked a finger, encouraging me to come outside and talk to them.

My eyebrows furrowed.

I turned and put my hand up.