6. Hockey

The next day was equally as boring as the last. Most of my teachers had stories to tell me about my brother. Some boy in my English class kept throwing pencils and erasers at me. I'm still not sure where he got so many.

Home Economics was exactly how it sounded. Sexist. We were given the rubric for everything we would learn this year. Home recipes, sewing, basic HOUSE WIFE jobs. Not for me.

Julie told me about the incident at lunch. Apparently Charlie and Fulton gave Cole a bag full of horse manure, presenting it as "brownies". I laughed. Good prank. She also told me they still hadn't apologized or seemed sorry for their actions. I'd have to scold them later.

I didn't have cheerleading practice today so I headed to the hockey rink since Scooter and the guys had hockey practice right after J.V. did.

I made my way into the building and walked over to the barrier glass.

"Hey, Ella!" Rick called out, waving.

All of the guys stopped playing their makeshift game, their coach nowhere in sight.

"Hey kiddo." Scooter gave me a side hug over the small gap in the wall.

"Hi Scooter." I smiled, looking out to the rest of the guys.

"Ella!" Cole smiled, wrapping me in a tight hug.

"Ewwwww please tell me you washed your hands with bleach." I pushed him away, shaking off in disgust.

"So you heard about those pricks, huh." He scoffed, crossing his arms.

"They're not pricks. And you guys didn't apologize to them." I scolded, pointing a stern finger at him.

"I'm sorry Bunny. They just keep messing with us." Rick gave a small laugh.

I narrowed my eyes at them, huffing.

"I did wash my hands can I have a hug now please?" Cole pleaded.

"Fine." I shook my head, giving him a hug.

"Ella, we've got practice. Why don't you meet our new guy." Scooter gave Cole a glare, stepping aside to show me someone I didn't expect to see.

Adam Banks.

"Oh, Adam.. Hey." I smiled, my cheeks tinted pink.

"Oh, Hey Ella." He waved, his cheeks pink.

He was cold, that was all.

"So you're on Varsity now?" I leaned over the wall, him skating closer.

"Guess so." He laughed, the corners of his mouth quirking up more.

"Well, have fun with the boys. They're looking for some fresh meat." I giggled, turning around to sit in the stands.

I turned to see most of the boys skating back to their positions, however Adam was still there, smiling. I gave him a wave and he waved back, pulling down his helmet and heading back to the game.

I watched at the boys took turns passing to each other before taking shots at Scooter. All but Adam. Strange.

"Hey, Scott!" I yelled out, cupping my hands around my mouth.