12. Sleepover

After the teams pick-me-up at the ice cream shop, we said our goodbyes for the day, with Julie coming over to spend the night with me.

Adam walked us back to my house, insisting it was improper of him to leave two girls to walk home alone.

Julie was rather offended by that comment, resulting in her finding a tree branch and chasing Adam with it.

I smiled, chuckling at the two. I was lucky to have such good best friends.

When we finally made it to Scooter and I's house, I invited Adam to come hang out with us for a bit.

He agreed, and the three of us went up to my room.

"Holy shit, and I thought my parents were rich." Adam's eyes widened, glancing around.

"What? Never been in a slightly big bedroom before?" I tilted my head to the side.

Julie's mouth fell to the floor. "I don't think you understand. You have your own bathroom. ATTACHED to your bedroom." Julie blinked and kept looking between me and my bathroom.

"That's not normal?" I asked, crossing my arms, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

Adam pulled my hands apart, recognizing my signs. "No! But it's freaking awesome!" He smiled at me.

His smile put an identical one on my face. "Thanks."

"Awhhh, Ella, you were such a cute kid!" Julie smiled, holding a photo of me from my dresser.

"God I forgot about that." I laughed, coming over to look at the picture.

"Yeah, cute with missing teeth." Adam chuckled, grabbing another framed picture.

My cheeks flushed, quickly coming over and snatching the picture from his hands. "L-let's look at something else." I stuttered.

The front door opening and shutting broke me out of my embarrassment. "Ella? You home?"

Scooter was here.

Without saying a word, I ran downstairs and engulfed him in a hug.

"Oh he- woah!" Scooter hugged me back, laughing.

"Hi kiddo." He smiled, ruffling my hair.

"Hi." I looked up, smiling back.

"Ella? Are you okay?" Adam called out, walking down the stairs with Julie.

"Oh hey, Scooter, right?" Julie asked, walking up to us and sticking out a hand to shake.

"Yeah, you're Julie?" Scooter returned her handshake.

Adam stood at the bottom of the stairs with a sour expression on his face.

I let go of Scooter, still standing near him.

"Hey Adam." Scooter said, trying to be polite.

Adam only nodded his head at Scooter, seemingly ignoring him.

Scooter's brow furrowed for a moment before he looked down to me. "Why don't you and Julie head upstairs. I wanna talk to Adam for a minute, okay?"