15. Funeral

A few days after Scooter and I's moment of watching the sunrise, Adam had called me, audibly upset.

Hans, the man who had owned the local skate shop, had passed away.

I didn't know him on the level Adam did, but I still knew he was a nice man. I asked Adam when the Funeral was. I wanted to be there for him and the other Ducks.

I decided to wear a knee-length, black, long-sleeve dress. This was the one I had worn to Papa's funeral. I was amazed it had still fit me.

Scooter had offered to drive me and Adam to the service. I held Adam's shaking hand the entire time.

"Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever, amen." A man in a black suit recited the final prayer for Hans.

Adam's grip tightened on my hand, pulling me into his side. I squeezed his hand back in a comforting manner.

I felt a figure staring our way.

My eyes looked up to meet Charlie Conway's red and puffy eyes. Tears slowly fell from his face as he shot Adam a glare. I furrowed my eyebrows, shaking my head at him. This wasn't the time or place to continue their petty fight. His eyes stopped and lowered to the casket.

A man stepped out from the crowd, towards the casket, carrying something.

"Excuse me, one second." He spoke for a few people in the crowd to hear. "Every time you touch the ice, remember it was Hans who taught us to fly." He placed the jersey with Hans' name on the back over the casket.

Adam lowered his head into my shoulder, crying silently.

I wrapped my free hand around him, holding him close.

A few moments passed before Adam exhaled a shaky breath, looking up to the sky and squeezing his eyes shut. His hand gave mine one last squeeze before he let go, looking down at me and engulfing me into a hug.

"Thank you." He whispered, sniffling.

"For what?" I wrapped my arms around his torso, pressing the side of my head into his chest.

"For coming with me." He sighed, placing his head atop mine.

"Of course." I smiled softly, closing my eyes and squeezing him tighter.

After the service, Scooter drove Adam home.

"Doing okay, Bunny?" Scooter asked, pulling out of Adam's driveway.

"Yeah, I'm just worried about some of the guys. I mean, they've known Hans for so many years." I sighed, looking out the window.

"They'll be okay. Look at you, you're okay after Papa's funeral." Scooter patted my shoulder with one hand.

"That was years ago." I looked over to him.

"4 years ago." He shook his head.

"It takes time Scooter. Lots and lots of time. I still miss him." I crossed my arms, hugging myself.

"I know kiddo, I do too." He sighed, looking back towards the road.

The rest of the ride home was silent. Scooter pulled into the driveway, two other cars parked in front of him, like always. One of the cars, however, was not one of our usual cars.

I unlocked the door and heard someone in the kitchen, humming.

The smell of chocolate chip cookies wafted through the hall. I perked up, instantly knowing who it was.

I ran into the kitchen, Scooter closing the door behind us.

"Nona!" I exclaimed, rushing to give her a hug.

"Oh! Eloise, hi dear!" She smiled, chuckling as she wrapped her arms around me.

"Hi, Nona." Scooter smiled, coming over and joining the hug.

"Hello, Scott." She gave him a warm smile, pinching one of his cheeks.

"I hope you kids are hungry. I just made some lunch and I have cookies in the oven." She smiled, holding my face between her hands.

I smiled. This was the home I had always wanted.

"Of course, Nona. Let us go change and we'll be back downstairs." Scooter smiled, ruffling my hair.

"Oh! I hadn't even noticed. Why are you two wearing all black? Is that the style with you young kiddos these days?" She gave us a smile, shimmying a little dance.

I laughed. "No, we're just coming back from-" I stopped laughing, my face faltering, "A funeral."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that dears. Why don't you all go upstairs, get changed and I'll make you both a plate." She gave me a sad smile, kissing my forehead.

Scooter and I headed upstairs, returning to our respective rooms. I changed into a pair of jeans and one of Scooter's old Eden Hall sweaters.

I skipped downstairs to see Scooter enjoying a bowl of tomato soup with some grilled cheese.

"Hi dear, I put some extra cookies on your plate and there's a glass of milk for you too." Nona smiled at me, gesturing to the plate and bowl next to Scooter.

"Thank you, Nona."I smiled, taking the empty seat next to scooter.

As I sat down, Scooter bumped my knee with his, grinning. I stuck my tongue out at him, taking my grilled cheese and dipping it into the soup before taking a bite.

"Gross." Scooter laughed.

"Not gross." I spoke, chewing the rest of my bite.

He shook his head, taking another spoonful of soup into his mouth.

I smiled, enjoying the moment.

I could hear Nona humming as she cleaned up the kitchen.

After I had finished my soup and sandwich, I dug into my cookies. They were surprisingly still warm.

I took a bite into one. The chocolate was still gooey and sweet.

"Lip." Scooter said with a cookie in his mouth, taking his dishes to the sink.

I licked my lips, tasting chocolate. Some must've spilled when I took the bite.

"Thank you, Scott." I heard Nona kiss his cheek.

"Now, I wanted to talk to you two about something. It's very important, and I want you two to really think about it." She said, sitting across from me.

I nodded, Scooter standing behind my chair and placing his hands on my shoulders.

"I would like for you two to come live with me."