7. First Game

The ducks, or rather the Eden Hall Warriors, had their first game. Versus the Blake Freshman Bears.

Adam was forced to go to the game by Varsity, and I felt incredibly bad for him, but I had to put on a fake smile and shake my pompoms.

I told him he'd be okay, just to stay around Scooter, since he was the only one who wasn't rude to Adam.

I took my place beside Chrissy and Mindy. The rest of the girls were in their positions.

"It appears the entire school has turned out to see the once Mighty Ducks, I mean, rather, the, um, Eden Hall Warriors do battle with the Blake Freshman Bears." The young boy in the announcers box leaned into his microphone.

The band on the side started playing and we were given the cue to start cheering.

All we had to do was smile, cheer, and shake the pompoms.

Smile.

Cheer.

Pompoms.

That wasn't so bad.

Now again.

Smile.

Cheer.

Pompoms.

Easy.

The ducks huddled around their coach, Mr. Orion as I knew him.

I remembered when he used to be Scooter's coach when I was younger, and I always called him Mr. instead of Coach. He thought it was quite funny, and I never grew out of the old habit.

"Point of fact, Charlie Conway is not wearing the traditional captain 'C'. He's been this team's captain since they played in District Five. I guess Coach Orion's making a statement." The boy spoke once more.

The game started. Everyone was skating around with purpose, clearly enjoying themselves, and the ducks even scored the first point.

I cheered, jumping and waving my colorful poms in the air. I heard claps and cheers from the crowd and smiled.

I saw Mr. Orion scolding the ducks. Why wasn't he excited for them?

I looked over to Julie and giggled. She was skating back and forth in front of the goal, clearly bored out of her mind.

The siren went off, signaling the ducks had scored another point.

I cheered again, my eyes wandering to the crowd to find my other friend.

Adam was clapping, smiling, when Rick placed a hand on his shoulder. Adam's excitement immediately died down.

I tilted my head in confusion, and Adam turned to me.

'You okay?' I mouthed to him.

He nodded, giving me the same adorable grin he always does.

I smiled, turning back to the game.