42 The Words

"I'm glad Howard got married. We only knew him when he was still young and single." I say.

    "Oh, really? You guys knew each other? He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you two." Tony said.

    "I don't mean to make things difficult." Steve told him.

     "I know, because you're a very polite person." Tony said.

    "If I see situation pointed south... I can't ignore it." Steve told Tony. "Sometimes I wish I could."

    "No, you don't." Tony said.

    "No, I don't." Steve confessed. "Sometimes..."

    "Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone, either of you. We need you, Cap, (Y/n). So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you two sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-center... instead of a Wakandan prison." Tony explained, Steve picked up a pen and stood up.

   "I'm not saying it's impossible but there would have to be safeguards." Steve looked over at Tony.

    "Sure. Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you two and Wanda reinstated..." Tony sat down.

    "Wanda? What about Wanda?" Steve questioned.

  "She's fine. She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping her company." Tony said.

    "Oh, god, Tony. Every time I think you see things the right way..." Steve sighed.

    "It's 100 acres with a lap pool." Tony defended. "It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people."

    "Protection? Is that how you see this?" Steve asked. "This isn't protection? It's internment, Tony."

    "She's not a US citizen." Tony mentioned.

    "Oh, come on, Tony." Steve sighed.

   "And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction." Tony argued.

     "She's a kid!" I yell.

    "Give me a break!" Tony shouted. "I'm doing what has to be done. To stave off something worse."

     "You keep telling yourself that." Steve told him.

    "Bucky didn't do anything." I say.

     "Well the whole world says he did. Have you even bothered to look at you husbands records?" Tony asked. "The things he's done!"

    "Have you seen mine? No, no one has." I shout.

     "(Y/n)." Steve spoke.

     "No!" I stand up. "Has no one ever wondered why any record of me ends the moment Steve went in the ice and there aren't even any on finding me in the ice? I can tell you why, because I never went in the ice."

    "What?" Steve questioned.

     "I should be the one going to a psych-center for everything I have ever done. I have done so much worse than Bucky has done." I tell them.

     "Look, I know you're angry but..." Tony tries.

     "Of course I'm angry! You all just don't understand. I was HYDRA, I wasn't trapped looking for Steve, I was taken. I have been through everything Bucky has only worse. I have killed so many people who didn't deserve it so many more than Bucky, but HYDRA wanted them gone. I destroyed or I downloaded all the files on me." I put a flash drive on the table. "Take a look if you don't believe me. I'm gonna go to the ladies room." I walk out of the room. I lied about needing to use the toilet because they can't stop me from going to the bathroom.

——

"Hello, Mr. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you." I hear the computers say as I step out and stand in the empty hall. "Do you mind if I sit? Your first name is James? I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James?"

A man walks out of the room.

"Where are they keeping Bucky Barnes?" I ask the man pinning him to the wall.

"I don't know." He claimed. I slam him against the other wall without touching him.

"I'm gonna ask you once more, where are they keeping Bucky Barnes?" I ask anger in my tone.

"S-sub-level f-five, East Wing." The man answered.
I let him down and ran, the power suddenly shuts off and everything goes dark except for red blinking lights over the doors.

———

"Longing Rusted." I heard the man in the room with Bucky say in German as I turned the corner.

"No." I hold my head as I hear those words.

"Seventeen Daybreak." I heard Bucky scream and banging on the glass as the man continued. "Furnace Nine Benign Homecoming One."

"No, no no." I scream but it was too late.

"Freight car." The man finished.

I have more control than I had before but the words are still strong. I feel everything I've hidden fighting for control. I wanted to save Bucky from this man but I can't save him with those words controlling my mind. I throw my back against the beside the door leading into the room.

"Soldier?" The man asked in German.

"Ready to comply." Bucky answers in German.

"Mission report. December 16, 1991." I head the man say before my mind cuts out.

I hear people running over and I look down at my trebling hands then at the bodies in the room. I was in the corner hidden behind desks. I look back down fighting my mind, when I look up again I see Steve get kicked to the ground and fighting with Bucky. My mind lashes out as Sam runs through the door. I throw him into the wall before running off.

———

Next thing I know I'm throwing two men into tables. I feel someone grabbed onto my arm and without thinking I slam them into the wall.

"Nat." I gasp and my mind snaps back for good. "Oh, God! I-I didn't mean..."
She got up looking at me, there was fear in them before she ran.
I turn to see my husband push back Sharon as Nat kicks his stomach.
My head is spinning but it was at least my mind. I look over to see T'Challa kick Bucky back and the two fight.

I run over to Nat who was laying on a table.

"Are you okay?" I ask worried she gave me a nod looking at me untrusting. I back away but when I looked over for Bucky he was gone.