17 - Joséphine & Blake

Start from the beginning

"Hop-hop-hop, no more whispering," says Peter, handing me a red cup.

I grab the cup and peer into the pink liquid inside, noticing the little candies floating at the bottom. With a touch of hesitation, I decide to take a sip, but the liquid clears my throat, causing me to grimace. Shawn then pulls out of his pocket a small transparent bag containing numerous pink and yellow tablets. He takes out one, then a second.

"What's this?" I ask curiously.

He smiles as he brings the tablet to his mouth, then picks up his own cup and swallows the contents. "Something to make you happy," he replies with a smirk.

In that brief moment, a multitude of thoughts rush through my mind. What effect will it have on my body and mind? Doubts and curiosities intermingle, creating a palpable tension that hangs in the air.

"Can I try it?" I finally ask.

His eyes widen. "Are you serious? Joséphine Evans wants to try drugs?"

"I don't see why not. Maybe I'm tired of being good," I answer with a nervous laugh.

A smile spreads across his face as he hands me a yellow tablet adorned with a smiling man. My eyes fix on the small object between his fingers, as I contemplate it attentively, hesitating before accepting it.

My gaze remains riveted on the yellow tablet, captivating my attention. I scrutinize the details of its appearance, absorbing every line and symbol engraved on it. The smiling man, an image that tries to instill confidence and positivity. This simple visual representation seems to carry a promise of relief or transformation.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" asks Cassie.

After a thoughtful pause, I finally decide to take the tablet between my fingers. The gestures are slow, deliberate, almost solemn, as I bring it to my lips and swallow. Once swallowed, a slight surge of anticipation is felt in my being, hope and curiosity merging into feverish anticipation.

Now, it's too late to turn back.

"You'll see, it's cool," Shawn reassures me.

"You're such a jerk, Shawn," says Cassie.

With a gentle gesture, Shawn puts his arm around my shoulders. I let myself be guided to the sofa where the other members of the circle are comfortably seated, their faces animated by smiles and bursts of laughter. I raise a cigarette to my lips and offer one to Shawn, which he accepts.

"What are you guys planning for the vacations?" asks Clyde.

His existence had completely escaped me until this very moment. Suddenly, he catches my eye with a simple nod.

"Parties, parties, parties...," replies Peter.

"Same," add Shawn and Clyde.

"Shopping," replies Cassie.

I take a drag on my cigarette.

"What about you, Joséphine?" asks Peter, raising his cup to his lips.

I swallow. "I'm going to visit my uncle."

Beneath the veil of my silence lies a heavy secret that I share only with Peter and Shawn: the tragic loss of my parents. I choose meticulously to avoid bringing up this painful subject, preferring to keep my intimate memories and emotions buried inside me. However, within the group, Peter instinctively detects my discomfort and the curious glances of the others turn to me. In an act of subtle compassion, he decides to intervene to divert attention from this charged atmosphere. Somehow, he finds the right words to change the subject, diverting the others' attention.