chapter ii - friends

Suffering a face wound wasn't a good look especially for someone of your status needless to say your parents weren't pleased and you received a scolding for what felt like an eternity. You tried to justify why you had wandered off but it fell on deaf ears so you laid pouting in the carriage your mother reading a book ignoring your fit. One of the bearers had managed to heal the wound partially but you still had a large cut across your left cheek. "Sit up _______, we're approaching Rosaria." Your mother said putting down her book. "Your hair...goodness I knew I should of brought Tatiana." She muttered running her hands through your wild hair. You paid no attention to her complaining as you eagerly looked at the window the view of the castle coming in view.

The carriage came to stop and the doors were opened by a couple of knights. You pushed past your mother, ignoring the outstretched hand from the knight to help you down. Your mother on the other hand chuckled gracefully taking the knight's hand and stepping out of the carriage a delicate hand holding hem of dress up as to not step on it. "______ dear come here." Your father motioned for you come to him as he greeted the Rosfields. You did a curtsy bowing your head, "Hello milord..milady." You greeted. Standing back up straight you then locked eyes with the very person you were excited to see. Joshua. He stood next to Lady Annabella a smile on his face as he looked at you. "I apologize Lord Elwin...Lady Annabella for how ______ looks. She was attacked by a wild hound." Your mother appeared by your side also bowing. "Hmm I see." Lady Annabella said a tinge of disgust laced in her voice. Lord Elwin laughed warmly, "Oh I see. Well Lady Marianne there is now reason to apologize as long as young _______ is safe then that's all that matters. Come let's go inside, I'll have the maids take your luggage to your rooms." He said motioning for everyone to follow him inside.

~•••~

After a very boring dinner with the Rosfields that was just full of political banter you were finally released to do as you pleased while the adults discussed important matters. Exchanging a nod with Joshua the two of you bounced out of your chairs rushing out of the dining hall. Finally you two stopped to catch your breath and stared at one another before you burst into a giggling fit. "That was soo boring!" You laughed leaning against a wall. "Well when our fathers get talking they talk about the most boring things." Joshua stifled his laughter with his hand as a knight walked past the two of you. As the laughter died down it was only then you realized the sun had set sighing you rubbed your cheek, "What should we do now?" You asked curiously tilting your head. The blonde boy hummed in thought for a few moments before taking your hand in his, "There's this spot in the garden that's really secluded and you get a really good view of the sky. Let's go there we have lots to talk about." He smiled warmly as he pulled you along.

Arriving in the garden Joshua let go your hand, "It doesn't seem very secluded and you can hardly see the sky over the banners." You pouted feeling lied. He shook his head pointing a finger at a small gap underneath a bush, "No silly we have to crawl under that bush and the gate and then we'll be in the perfect spot." He said quickly getting to his hands and knees and disappearing from your sight you followed after him, emerging on the other side of the gate sat a small fluffy patch of grass hanging over a small cliff. It really was the perfect spot sitting down beside Joshua you looked at the night sky. Silence passed between the two of you before he spoke, "So you must tell me the real story of how you got that cut." He said eagerly awaiting your version of the story. Your feet dangled off the ledge, "Well it started when we got held up and I hadn't ever been along this route before so I decided to explore. I wasn't even that far from everyone but regardless I picked some flowers and then I saw this shiny thingy. So I went to grab it and then a hound attacked me! It wasn't like Torgal it was real ugly. But me father killed the hound and I still got the shiny thing." You explained rummaging through your dress pocket and pulling out the white sphere. It glowed a light blue hue and you heard Joshua gasp. "Is that somethin from the Ancients?" He asked amazed. Nodding you tossed the sphere at your friend, "Think so. It's yours Joshua I knew you'd like it." You smiled. Shaking his head blonde hair fell in front of his eyes, "No ______ I can't! I don't even have a gift for you." He frowned trying to place the sphere back in your hand but you crossed your arms balling your fists, "Nuh uh...it's for you." You shook your head back and forth finally the blonde prince sighed in defeat and accepted your gift.

Some time had passed as the two of you chattered nonstop but you noticed a sudden shift in Joshua's mood. "What's wrong?" You asked a frown now on your lips. He sighed, "I just don't understand why you have to live so far away. I wish we could be together more often." He said quietly playing with the sphere absentmindedly. A weird feeling filled your chest and you adverted your gaze from his ocean blue eyes. "I..I know I wish I could just stay here forever with you. I like being here...when I go home I always feel alone. Your my best friend Joshua." You confessed shyly. Without warning Joshua grasped your hands in his and he smiled widely his eyes glimmering, "Well then when we're a little bit older we can get married then we'll always be together. Because married people have to stay close to one another." He chimed. By the gods! That was brilliant! You thought to yourself. Eagerly you nodded, "Of course I'm not sure why we hadn't thought of that before! I'll tell my parents and you tell yours, okay!?" You exclaimed. The two of you had come to an agreement, it was the perfect plan.

~•••~

Days had passed since you had arrived to Rosaria and you had spent every moment relishing it. Your father and Duke Elwin had matters to attend so they were gone you were unsure of when they'd be back. You sat with Jill and Joshua watching Clive train with the Lord Commander. Jill laughed softly as Joshua told her about the agreement you two had made. "Oh my that's a big commitment don't you two know?" She asked warmly trying to not giggle. You nodded, "Yes of course. We're best friends so why wouldn't we get married so we can always be together? That's what friends are 'posed to do." You stated. "Like you and Clive are best friends so you two will get married right?" Joshua asked. Jill gasped and her face turned bright red Torgal barked at the two of you. "Well I...I don't think the two of you understand marriage completely." She stammered. Clicking your tongue you rolled your eyes, "No Jill I think you don't." You declared. Jill sighed deciding that she was fighting a loosing battle with the two of you, "Perhaps ______ perhaps." She said defeatedly. Joshua and you exchanged a proud look but before anymore could he said you heard Clive shout triumphantly as he had just bested the Lord Commander for the first time. Cheers erupted you joining them in cheering for Clive. He made his way over towards the three of you and panted. "Clive good job!" You exclaimed he looked at you with a lazy smile and ruffled your hair. Joshua hopped down from the fence post he was sitting on, "Good job Clive. Oh your wounds-let me heal them for you." He said before Clive got a chance to say anything Joshua began healing but quickly he fell weak.

He coughed and you quickly jumped down from the fence wrapping your arms around his shoulders. "Joshua!" You cried worriedly. Clive frowned, "Joshua you shouldn't be doing that. You're already sick." He spoke with a hint sadness laced in his tone. Your grey eyes were watering, you hadn't realized Joshua had gotten so sick in the months you two had been apart...why hadn't he told you?

~•••~

Your time was cut short with the Rosfields, your father telling you it was time to go that your family couldn't be here. You didn't understand at first why you couldn't go to the Phoenix Gate with Joshua to cheer him on it was only when your father sat you down and explained that the Crystalline Dominion was a neutral country and couldn't be here when Rosaria went to war with the Iron Kingdom it would be far too dangerous for your family. Was this the reason why my family took a last minute visit to Rosaria? Because it may be the last time I see them? War? Neutrality? None of it made sense to me...your mind raced. The thought of possibly losing Joshua was far too much for your young heart to bear, especially not after the promise you two made.

——————————————————

this story will have spoilers for the game and the game lore will be changed some as to fit the story i want for the reader. the reader will have some traits i give them just for the sake of making the story flow better (ex: eye color, hair length, etc). please ignore spelling and grammar mistakes i'll at some point probably fix it all.

thanks for reading

THIS STORY IS PUBLISHED ON QUOTEV UNDER THE USERNAME KRESNIKS AND ON TUMBLR GLOOMYSWRITINGS