𝐱𝐢𝐱. the first task !

Start from the beginning

Feyre met Ana's eyes, and the blonde imperceptibly shook her head. No. Don't freely give your name, her eyes screamed. Names held power. A demon's true name could control them. A Shadowhunter's family name could reveal so much about their bloodline. Names were powerful, even in the world of fae and monsters.

When Feyre did not reply, Amarantha frowned. "Come, now, pet. You know my nameisn't it fair that I know yours?" There was movement through the crowd, and Ana's eyes flickered to the Attor that was slowly creeping toward Feyre. She allowed her irises to flicker gold, and the monster hesitated. "After all"Amarantha waved an elegant had to the space behind her, the crystal casing around Jurian's eye catching the light"you've already learned the consequences of giving false names."

Feyre remained silent. Ana felt pride swell within her chest at her friend's strength. 

"Rhysand," Amarantha saidnot needing to raise her voice to summon him. Ana stiffened slightly, her eyes locking on the dark figure making its way through the crowd. They came to a stop beside Feyre, heir violet gaze remaining on Amarantha. But Ana could feel him in her minda constant soft kiss of darkness swirling within her. 

The High Lord of the Night Court bowed at the waist, and Ana grit her teeth. Night rippled from him, thrumming with power and excitement. The most powerful High Lord in the history of Prythian, bowing to the general of Hybern. It was the dumbest thing Ana had ever seen, and she would make sure Amarantha knew that when the bitch was on her deathbed. 

Amarantha lifted her brows. "Is this the girl you saw at Tamlin's estate?"

He brushed some invisible lint from his black tunic before he surveyed Feyre. His violet eyes held boredom. "I suppose."

"But did you or did you not tell me that girl," Amarantha said, her tone sharpening as she pointed to Clare, "was the one you saw?"

He stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Humans all look alike to me."

Amarantha gave him a saccharine smile. "And what about faeries?"

Rhysand bowed againso smooth it looked like a dance. "Among a sea of mundane faces, yours is a work of art."

Ana had to bite back a snort. Really? Taking it a little over the top, aren't we? If you keep up with the dramatics, I'm going to sign you up for drama classes once we are free.

You do such, and you'll see just how dramatic I can be, Ana darling. His tone was filled with humor. Enough to make the corners of Ana's lips flicker upwards in a gentle, nearly imperceptible, smile. 

"What's her name?" Amarantha demanded.

"How would I know? She lied to me." Ana had to admit that watching Rhys toy with Amarantha was almost as enjoyable as watching her favorite TV series. 

Feyre tensed, as if anticipating the powers of the Night Court. Those beautiful abilities that allowed someone to slip into the mind of another. Abilities that Rhys had used against her once to scare Tamlin into sending her home. Because Rhys had wanted to protect her. For Ana.

"If you're inclined to play games, girl, then I suppose we can do this the fun way," Amarantha said. She snapped her fingers at the Attor, who reached into the crowd and grabbed someone. Red hair glinted, and Ana caught her breath. The Attor yanked Lucien forward by the collar of his green tunic. By the Angel. 

Ana may be angry with the son of Autumn, but like hell she wanted to see a former friend tortured. 

Lucien thrashed against the Attor but couldn't do anything against those needlelike nails as it forced him to his knees. The Attor smiled, releasing his tunic, but kept close.