17-♫- Give me Love Little Bird to Run A Thousand Miles

Start from the beginning

            “I can take care of myself,” I snap.

            “It really looked like that when I arrived,” Teegan retorts sarcastically to me.

            I glare at him.

            “You are so sexist you know that? What? Just because I’m a girl I can’t defend myself?” I ask, my voice sounding pitchy.

            Teegan stares at me incredulously. “What does sexism have to do with anything?”

            “You’re a boy so you think that it’s your job to defend me, a weak girl,” I say angrily. I know I am being unfair and I should just shut up and say thank you but I couldn’t.

            I couldn’t shut up I mean.

            “Aria,” Teegan says wearily, bringing his face closer to mine. “I have no doubt that you can care for yourself.”

            “And to think-“ I begin my rant, ignoring what he just said before I finally registered what he said. “What?”

            Teegan throws me an amused look. “I have no doubt you can care for yourself. You are one of the strongest, determined girl that I know.”

            I feel a part of me feel flattered with his compliment.

            “However,” he continues, “Why does it matter so much that I defended you? That I was there to protect you and have your back?”

            His gaze isn’t accusing, only curious.

            I fumble with the edge of my shirt. “It’s not that…” I begin. “It’s just-“ he raises my chin to look up at him. “I really hate how I feel like I can’t deal with a situation without you. Like I will need you there to do everything for me for the rest of my life. Don’t laugh, but you were there with me at the hospital, when I needed a place to stay. I don’t think you really need me that much-“ I ramble.

            Teegan places a hand over my mouth and I stare wide-eyed at him, a displeased frown on his face.

            “You’re so dumb,” he finally says, flicking my forehead and retracting his hand. Just as I am about to protest though, he shots me a look telling me to shut up.

            “I need you just as much as you need me. It’s not a matter of how much I do for you and how much you do for me. What matters is that we’re there for each other. That we have each other’s back. So what if I protect you tonight, you saved me from that car. Remember?” Teegan says.

            I feel a blush rise up my cheeks and when I try to look away, Teegan follows my gaze.

            “So don’t say something like that again. It’s not a matter of who needs who. I guess in a way, we both need each other equally.”

            I exhale slowly, his genuine words piercing my heart and making me feel like a weight was lifted off my chest.

            “When did you get so wise?” I ask.

            Teegan chuckles, shifting through the Walgreen’s plastic bag to open up a bandage.

            Grabbing my chin softly, he tilts it to the side and leans over the car counsel so close that all I had to do was turn my head and our lips would touch. I shoved my emotions to the side and stayed as still as I could as he gently places the Band-Aid over the scrape on my cheek.