The Good Neighbor - Part Two

Start from the beginning

"It's not?" You were confused.

"Nope," Julie smiled.

"It's for the two of y'all," Tate answered.

"For us?" Kayce asked.

"Yep," Julie nodded. "It's time the two of you had a date."

"A proper date," June added.

"Cause we're tired of the way you two look at each other," Tate laughed.

"And how you won't do anything about him," Julie nodded at Kayce, while she looked at you.

"And you won't tell her how you feel," Tate told his dad.

"Hold on," You held up a hand.

"Yeah, guys," Kayce chuckled. "This is all nice and everything...but you can't force two people to date."

"We're not forcing you to date," Julie rolled her eyes. "We're throwing a date for you both to enjoy and figure it out yourself."

"So, sit here, eat your lunch, and we'll see y'all back at the house," June smiled before grabbing Tate's arm and the three of them walking off.

You didn't miss Tate giving his dad a thumbs up as they disappeared into the trees. You laughed and looked over at Kayce whose cheeks were a little pink.

"We don't have to do this if you don't want to," You said softly. "My girls can sometimes be romantic at heart."

"I'm not embarrassed to have a date with you," Kayce smiled. "I'm embarrassed that it took my son to make this happen."

"Oh..." Now your cheeks were slightly pink. "So, you do want this?"

"To date you?" Kayce asked. "Only since the day you told me you were in charge."

The two of you ate what the kids had packed for you and enjoyed the early afternoon just being together. You learned a little more about Kayce's family and some of his time in the military. Kayce learned you had grown up in Idaho before moving out here with your girls.

You had been attracted to Kayce since the day you met him, but he was a quiet man. He was incredible kind, but you could tell there was baggage behind his eyes. You had some of that too, but after this date the two of you seemed a little more open to each other.

Kayce had picked up the stuff and offered you his hand to stand up. When you stepped closer to him, instead of letting your hand go he laced his fingers through yours. The two of you made your way back to your house slowly.

"What do you think they're wanting from this?" You asked Kayce.

"I think they're wanting this," Kayce held up your hands with a smile. "But more importantly...what do you want from this?"

"I don't know," You shrugged. "But I like...this."

"Me too," Kayce stopped and you both stared at each other.

"I haven't really...dated a whole lot since having my girls," You said honestly. "I'm not sure I know how to."

"I haven't dated since I got divorced," Kayce shrugged. "So, I'm right there with you."

"Think this could even work?" You asked him.

"I want it to," Kayce smiled.

"Me too," You nodded.

Kayce pulled you to step closer to him, your hands coming to rest up on his chest while his hand held your waist.

"When's the last time someone kissed you?" Kayce asked softly.

"Um...that's been at least a few years-"

Kayce dipped his head to press his lips against yours gently. His lips were warm and comforting in the cool breeze. You rocked into him more, your hands moving to slid up and around his neck. Kayce's hand on your waist moved around to the lower part of your back as he deepened the kiss.

When you pulled back you stayed pressed against Kayce. His eyes were bright staring down into yours as you tried to remember your name even.

"That's too long a time to go with you not being kissed," Kayce said.

Laughed made you both look over to see your children all smiling, walking toward you both. You unwrapped your arms around Kayce, but he kept his hand on your back as you raised an eyebrow at your girls.

"You think you're real clever, don't you?" You asked them.

"Looks like you enjoyed lunch," June giggled.

"We did," Kayce patted your back as he began to walk with the kids back to the main house.

The view of him with all three of the kids walking home made your heart skip a beat. You quickly shoved the feeling down, but there was a promise there of what could be that made your warm and happy inside.