CHAPTER IV

× Mannequin

"Assalamu Alaikum," Mashael greeted as she entered the house, her excitement evident as she looked up upon hearing the response, "Wa Alaikum Assalam," from three people, and saw her father was back.

"Baba!" Mashael exclaimed, overjoyed. "Mashael beta."
Her dad responded affectionately.

"We have quite the dramatic bunch in our household," her mother remarked, shaking her head, and teasingly showed a vegetable knife at Mashael, who said, "Don't be envious, Mom."

Before her mother could reply, Mashael dashed off to her room, and the rest of the family shared a laugh, finding her antics endearing – she was the light of their home, their precious Mashael.

After freshening up, she headed to Sehrish's home, humming songs to herself and plotting ways to tease her cousin.

Upon meeting her uncle and aunt and sharing some playful moments, she made her way to the terrace.

"What a beautiful view," she exclaimed as she reached the terrace, spotting her cousins Sehrish and Asad seated there.

"Mashael," Sehrish said, giving her a stern look, while Asad sat there bewildered, struggling to understand Mashael's behavior – he often joked that studying medicine was easier than understanding his cousin Mashael.

Mashael playfully responded, "Oh, come on, Sehrish , I was merely appreciating the lovely sky. View is pretty. Right, Asad Bhai?" She winked at Sehrish, who understood her mischievous intent.

"Yeah, it's nice," Asad replied, still puzzled by Mashael's antics. "How's your studying going?"

"Absolutely fine," Mashael responded, now seated in a chair. "By the way, how are you? I heard you're joining the hospital."

"Yes, I'm thrilled! You know where I'm going to work?" He exclaimed. "The hospital where Dr. Naveed Khan works."

Mashael's expression instantly changed upon hearing the name of his renowned professor.

"What's so special about him?" She asked, making a face.

"What's special? He possesses remarkable surgical skills and consistently achieves positive patient outcomes," Asad gushed, admiration evident in his eyes.

"You seem to know a lot about him," Sehrish remarked, and Mashael nodded.

"Of course, I researched him. I even know he studied at the best university in the USA and came to India to work at the hospital after completing his studies."

"Alright, alright, we get it, you're well-informed," Mashael said, "Can we talk about something else?"

and Asad turned to her, then Sehrish, asking, "Why does hearing his name annoy her so much?"

"Well, Dr. Naveed Khan is now our professor and It's not a big deal; she's annoyed because of a lizard," Sehrish chuckled.

"Wait, what? He's your professor now? You guys are lucky!" Asad responded, surprised and Mashael mumbled "lucky my foot" unher her breath.

"A lizard ?" He added.

"Yes, a lizard. But forget that, I—" Sehrish was interrupted as Mashael's phone rang. Mashael's face lit up as she saw the caller ID.

"Hello!" She exclaimed, answering the call. "I'm good, how about you?"

"Really? You're coming to India?" She spoke loudly, causing Sehrish and Asad to flinch.

"This girl," Asad shook his head. "Is that her online friend?"

Sehrish confirmed with a nod.

"Okay, done shouting, I mean talking," Asad grinned, giving Sehrish a high-five when Mashael returned after the call, glaring at them playfully before letting a smile spread across her face.