18: Aftermath (Tom's POV)

Tom released the curse only seconds later, but it had gotten the message across.

He watched as Siobhan broke free from Abraxas' grip and shot towards Altair. She kneeled by his side, ripping the fabric of her dress in the process. She didn't seem to notice.
Altair groaned, Siobhan pushed his hair out of his face and put his glasses back on. He observed the siblings with amusement, Cillian and his sister were both trying to help Altair sit back up.

'What the fuck, Tom,' Cillian said with a sigh, but his attempt at anger was overshadowed by the look of adoration on his face.

Tom tucked his wand back in his pocket and strode over to the three siblings on the ground. When he reached them, he looked down at the eldest son with contempt in his dark eyes.
Altair had finally managed to sit back up. He wiped some blood out of his eye, but the cut on his forehead kept pouring out dark red liquid.
A feeling of satisfaction overcame Tom. He had seen the way Altair Selwyn looked at him, as if he was a brand new virus that needed exterminating. It was good that the guy knew his place now.

Siobhan seemed to have forgotten about everyone else's presence. She pressed her sleeve against her brother's wound, muttering softly that she would fix him up soon.
Tom observed her; her panic, her anger. Even when she was upset, she was gorgeous. He had noticed it first on Christmas, how she seemed unable to look tarnished, no matter what happened. He saw that her hands were shaking slightly. That was something he needed to correct her on, she let her nerves get the best of her too easily.

Abraxas slowly walked up behind Tom and placed his hand on his shoulder. 'Come on,' he mumbled. Tom gave Altair one last look of despise and stepped back.
None of his friends said or did anything. They just watched as Siobhan and Cillian helped Altair stand back up.
Anthony scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, and Rome still had his sisters wrist in a protective grip. Even Antonin had woken up and was watching, confused, from the boat.

When Altair was standing straight again, still bleeding and leaning on his brothers' shoulder, Siobhan finally met Tom's gaze. He couldn't decipher what was going on behind those pale blue eyes. She looked upset, yet stoic. She was clutching her wand, but she didn't raise it at him. Somewhere between all those other emotions, he could sense fear. Good.

'I came here tonight to get a better picture of your character, Riddle. You have confirmed all my suspicions.' Altairs voice was steady, but he was still leaning on his brother for support. Tom had to fight the urge to roll his eyes. Maybe he had overreacted, but he wanted to get a message across to the siblings. He was not a safe place for them to run to when their father acted up. He was no savior, and they had to fear him just as much as they did Dorian. It was an important part of his strategy.

Tom didn't respond to Altair. He just turned around and grabbed an unopened bottle from a cabinet behind him. He popped off the top and took a big gulp, staring at the wall in front of him. Behind him, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. He could feel all of their eyes on his back.
He turned back around, bottle still in hand. He made eye contact with Altair and said in a cold, calm manner, 'Get out.'

And with a loud crack, Altair disapparated. Taking Cillian, who he was still leaning on, with him.
Tom took another sip from the bottle as he watched a confused and vulnerable Siobhan look at the place where her brothers stood only seconds ago. He could see tears well up in her eyes. He felt sorry for her, sorry that he had to turn yet another night into a tragedy. A pretty girl like her deserved a fun evening without dramatics. But life wasn't fair, and things needed to happen. Moves had to be made.

'Siobhan-' Abraxas started, but she turned around and stormed out of the boathouse. Abraxas wanted to go after her, but Tom waved his wand and slammed the door shut in his face. 'Leave her.'